JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Randy Lerner

+2
villanfromluton
jpr60
6 posters

Go down

Randy Lerner Empty Randy Lerner

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:05 pm

Villa playing at the new Wembley in a cup final for the first time is a massive thank you for RL for the way that he has reborn the club

When you see the financial fiasco´s that Yanks have created at Man U and Liverpool we got seriously lucky when that guy bought the club and I don´t think he gets anywhere near the credit he deserves for the unassuming way he has gone about making the club serious candidates

So - well done RL and thanks!!!

Back to top Go down

Randy Lerner Empty Re: Randy Lerner

Post  jpr60 Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 pm

Lionheart wrote:Villa playing at the new Wembley in a cup final for the first time is a massive thank you for RL for the way that he has reborn the club

When you see the financial fiasco´s that Yanks have created at Man U and Liverpool we got seriously lucky when that guy bought the club and I don´t think he gets anywhere near the credit he deserves for the unassuming way he has gone about making the club serious candidates

So - well done RL and thanks!!!

True indeed. He seems to be the exception that proves the rule.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 pm

Lion

Excellent post, though I think the vast majority of Villa fans recognise and appreciate the way he has transformed the club. Appears as if he has a great working relationship with the manager and lets him get on with the job of managing the club, unlike some other clubs. Whereas some of the others seem intent om being in it to make a profit or get more publicity, he appears to have a genuine fondness for the club, brought about from the early 80's. While the efforts on the pitch are appreciated, it is a pleasure to see what he has brought about off the pitch, the Holte pub and the training ground amongst them I sincerely hope he can make it to Wembley and gets the adulation he deserves, but most certainly does not crave. I recall reading the General on another forum saying how humble Randy Lerner feels when the fans sing his name.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:27 pm

Luton

I was more referring to football in general than just Villa fans - I think the game should hold up RL as the example for the rest that when you take on a football club you effectively take on a role that has a massive impact on the lives of thousands of people and its not a short term toy but a life consuming project - unlike so many Russians, Arabs, Yanks and Triad leaders he fundamentally understands what he has got himself embroiled in

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:34 pm

To be fair Lion, whenever I listen to radio shows about owners of football clubs, Randy Lerners name is always near the top of the list on how to run a football club
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:40 pm

Luton

For all his detractors and his obvious vanity - I still believe Deadly cared deeply about the club. There are many many things I think he should have done differently - but I would never question his devotion to the Club whilst in charge - there are not that all that many Chairmen I would say that about

Back to top Go down

Post  Finn Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:43 pm

Lionheart wrote:Luton

I was more referring to football in general than just Villa fans - I think the game should hold up RL as the example for the rest that when you take on a football club you effectively take on a role that has a massive impact on the lives of thousands of people and its not a short term toy but a life consuming project - unlike so many Russians, Arabs, Yanks and Triad leaders he fundamentally understands what he has got himself embroiled in

RHK Police Force actually chap.

Rolling Eyes
Finn
Finn

Back to top Go down

Post  Finn Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 pm

villanfromluton wrote:To be fair Lion, whenever I listen to radio shows about owners of football clubs, Randy Lerners name is always near the top of the list on how to run a football club

A gent and a pragmatist, very unusual qualities in the "new rich"
Finn
Finn

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 pm

Cant quite go along with that Lion, his ego was far too big and if he had won that meeting I doubt very much we would have had the success that happened over the following few years. He obviously wanted Saunders out as the club wasnt big enough for the two of them.

What I will say is he didnt let the club down when it came to selling. The yanks at Liverpool were sniffing around and got told to do one. He certainly sold to the right person, credit where it is due.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:56 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Cant quite go along with that Lion, his ego was far too big and if he had won that meeting I doubt very much we would have had the success that happened over the following few years. He obviously wanted Saunders out as the club wasnt big enough for the two of them.

What I will say is he didnt let the club down when it came to selling. The yanks at Liverpool were sniffing around and got told to do one. He certainly sold to the right person, credit where it is due.

Luton

Gidman and Gray were top players - history proved that Saunders strength of character pulled through - however at that particular point in time I reckon the majority of fans would have taken a change of Manager and kept the two stars - I remember seeing "Saunders Out" banners at a home game when Man U beat us 0-3 around that time

Football fans have short memories - if I look back I too was badly judging Saunders at the time so in many ways Deadly was following the same thought pattern

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:06 pm

Randy Lerner = Legend.

He doesn't even take the plaudits - he just sits back and lets MON do what he seems best.

And he may not be the richest person in the world, but he backs MON and gives the money for the player MON wants.
Jay.P.A
Jay.P.A

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:10 pm

While I think the majority of fans wanted the players to stay, I do think the majority did support Saunders action, except when there were rumours he was trying to buy Steve Daley Wink
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:18 pm

villanfromluton wrote:While I think the majority of fans wanted the players to stay, I do think the majority did support Saunders action, except when there were rumours he was trying to buy Steve Daley Wink

Malcolm Allison was out of control at that time - he made Daley the most expensive player ever -signed Mackenzie to become the most expensive teenager ever - paid almost a million for Robinson who I think I´m right in saying had only ever scored six goals in his career and signed a Polish centre back (forget the name ) and made him captain even though he didn´t speak a word of English!!

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:21 pm

Yees, he sure was. Did he sign that Silkman as well, who is now an agent. Flash tosser he was
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Yes..... we aint got loads of debt like them at all Whistle

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:50 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Yees, he sure was. Did he sign that Silkman as well, who is now an agent. Flash tosser he was

Luton, I've just had a pm from Mark. He reckons you are Randy's son, Slow.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:34 am

jak wrote:
villanfromluton wrote:Yees, he sure was. Did he sign that Silkman as well, who is now an agent. Flash tosser he was

Luton, I've just had a pm from Mark. He reckons you are Randy's son, Slow.

Bit harsh of you to call Mark slow, I'm sure he knows who Randy Lerner is
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Finn Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:37 am

Lionheart wrote:
villanfromluton wrote:While I think the majority of fans wanted the players to stay, I do think the majority did support Saunders action, except when there were rumours he was trying to buy Steve Daley Wink

Malcolm Allison was out of control at that time - he made Daley the most expensive player ever -signed Mackenzie to become the most expensive teenager ever - paid almost a million for Robinson who I think I´m right in saying had only ever scored six goals in his career and signed a Polish centre back (forget the name ) and made him captain even though he didn´t speak a word of English!!

Lion

I think Robinson was a little more accomplished than you imply. remember his half way line cross bar buster against Victimpool. Went onto have a very good career in Spain didnt he, and is now the anchor man on their Sky Sports equiv.

Daley I admitt was a waste of money.
Finn
Finn

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:46 am

Who did Man City buy him from. Know he was at Brighton and Liverpool as well, cant remember who they got him from though
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Finn Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:07 am

Preston i think..........
Finn
Finn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:14 am

Finn wrote:Preston i think..........

Yes it was Preston

He turned into a decent player at Liverpool - but the size of fee for someone so young who had played so little was pretty drastic

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum