JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bobby Smith RIP

4 posters

Go down

Bobby Smith RIP Empty Bobby Smith RIP

Post  jpr60 Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:26 pm

Bustling (and later, fat) striker Bobby Smith has died at the age of 77. I may have been a Gooner but I could appreciate the goals that he and Jimmy Greaves put away for Tottingham and England - RIP Bobby Smith.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Bobby Smith RIP Empty Re: Bobby Smith RIP

Post  Bedshammer Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:30 pm

RIP
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Well said JPR, wasnt he a member of the double team. RIP
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:55 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Well said JPR, wasnt he a member of the double team. RIP

He was indeed and my 'Big Sister' was going out with a Spud in '60-61 - OK he was a nice bloke but what a pain when it came to football! Tottingham was, somehow part of my footballing education. Smith was a powerful centre-forward (as they were called in them days) and he must have been a bügger to play against cos he was, well, chunky and very mobile. I remember once, at White Hart Lane giving him some serious lip. I was near the corner flag and he was taking a right-wing corner - I called him everything ('fat' being the nicest adjective used) and he looked at me and grinned!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:08 pm

RIP. A spud but a very good player in a very good side.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:51 pm

jpr60 wrote:

He was indeed and my 'Big Sister' was going out with a Spud in '60-61 - OK he was a nice bloke but what a pain when it came to football! Tottingham was, somehow part of my footballing education. Smith was a powerful centre-forward (as they were called in them days) and he must have been a bügger to play against cos he was, well, chunky and very mobile. I remember once, at White Hart Lane giving him some serious lip. I was near the corner flag and he was taking a right-wing corner - I called him everything ('fat' being the nicest adjective used) and he looked at me and grinned!

You fattist git. Shame that most players dont interact with the fans these days.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:00 pm

villanfromluton wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

You fattist git. Shame that most players dont interact with the fans these days.

They've got as much in common with the fans as you have with an heterosexual bolemic. Wink

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:09 pm

jak wrote:
villanfromluton wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

They've got as much in common with the fans as you have with an heterosexual bolemic. Wink

I remember strolling down from Avenall Road to the Arsenal tube station in the company of George Eastham, John Barnwell after a match (I often stopped off for a cuppa with a mate who lived on Avenall Road so an hour or so after the match the players would be leaving). They didn't mind having a chat, signing autographs for the kids - they truly were just ordinary blokes in those days, travelling home by tube, carrying their little sports bags, dressed the same as anyone else on their way home from work. How times have changed!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:16 pm

jpr60 wrote:
jak wrote:
villanfromluton wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

I remember strolling down from Avenall Road to the Arsenal tube station in the company of George Eastham, John Barnwell after a match (I often stopped off for a cuppa with a mate who lived on Avenall Road so an hour or so after the match the players would be leaving). They didn't mind having a chat, signing autographs for the kids - they truly were just ordinary blokes in those days, travelling home by tube, carrying their little sports bags, dressed the same as anyone else on their way home from work. How times have changed!

Indeed. The rise of the prima donna mercenaries, many of whom aren't fit to lick the boots of some of those earlier true
professionals.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:17 pm

When Teddy Sheringham played for Colchester, he'd commute in from Liverpool Street and was always happy to sit and chat on the train. One of the nicest blokes in the world.

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:24 pm

Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:When Teddy Sheringham played for Colchester, he'd commute in from Liverpool Street and was always happy to sit and chat on the train. One of the nicest blokes in the world.

Did he used to dress in drag for the trip?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum