JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Great post

+3
roadoftrinity
ADRIAN_1976
QBVILLA
7 posters

Go down

Great post Empty Great post

Post  QBVILLA Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:48 am

On H&V website.This is certainly something i can associate with:

My brother was the first to take me to the Villa, in the mid eighties. He would go everywhere with them, home and away. I enjoyed ten years of his company on the Holte End, getting my terrace education and watching a game that was not yet swamped with player power and agents. My brother is a lot older than I am and during his mid thirties, just as things were looking up under Big Ron, and I was in my late teens, he just stopped going. It did not make sense; I used to tease him saying that he is not a real fan, that no way would I ever stop going to watch the Villa. I remember quite clearly he told me that one day it may happen to me, and once I stop going- as he did- it becomes an easy habit to get into. I did not believe him, he was talking nonsense!

So forward twenty and a bit years…I am the one now in my mid thirties and the old fart is the wrong side of fifty. He came out of Villa retirement when Mon arrived and it was as if he had never been away. Nevertheless, during the last few seasons under Mon, I began to get increasingly more bored and fed-up of match days and even more questionable of the Premier League and all of the over the top hype that surrounds it. Granted, I was not Mon’s biggest fan during his last few seasons and thought that it may well have been for that reason why my enjoyment was diminishing. I made my mind up before the end of his last season not to renew my season ticket.

True to my word, last season under Houllier I did not have a season ticket though I did attend a decent amount of games, many of them at the tail end of the season. Yet with each game I was attending, I was finding myself becoming even more bored and my mind was wandering off during the match. Not even the pre match banter felt the same. The same old routine was becoming a chore. It just got in the way. It was just too much hassle.

My mind was set, I was packing up. Nothing would tempt me back, not even the promise of a big name manager or big new signings. Obviously neither of these two things happened anyway! Though again, I have been true to my word. This season I have been to exactly ZERO games. What’s more, I have not felt at any time that I am missing anything. This has absolutely nothing to do with the current state of the club, or who our manager is, the type of football that we play etc...

I’m not really that sure if I want anything to reignite my interest to the levels it used to be, because I’m quite enjoying life without having to worry about the Villa (saying that out loud still feels all very peculiar and alien to me, yet at the same time I say it with genuine honesty).

I am not sure whether it is just a phase. Maybe I will get a sudden urge one day to get back down there, just as my brother did after over a decade and a half away. What it will take only time will tell, if it happens at all that is. Football is a game that I love but one that I am beginning to loathe. Aston Villa is the club that I still love, but no longer really care for as much as I would like to.

It is a shame, I was a good fan.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Great post Empty Re: Great post

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:52 am

It's like this guys reading my mind Rolling Eyes
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:16 am

That post just about sums up how I feel, however I wasn't true to my word and I had a season ticket under Houllier (which I brought when MON was still manager), also I brought one this season.

However I have given my season ticket away now to a mate as I'm bored of going and I will be playing golf instead with my free time. I'm not saying I won't attend any more games in my life, but I know that I won't miss going and I have found it a chore for a few years now.

roadoftrinity

Back to top Go down

Post  MrMagoo Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:37 am

Do you think this is a similar story across more clubs?
MrMagoo
MrMagoo
Da Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:40 am

MrMagoo wrote:Do you think this is a similar story across more clubs?

I would say so yes. I know that attendances are down across the Midlands, I'm sure it's similar else where as well.

roadoftrinity

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:35 am

QBVILLA wrote:On H&V website.This is certainly something i can associate with:

My brother was the first to take me to the Villa, in the mid eighties. He would go everywhere with them, home and away. I enjoyed ten years of his company on the Holte End, getting my terrace education and watching a game that was not yet swamped with player power and agents. My brother is a lot older than I am and during his mid thirties, just as things were looking up under Big Ron, and I was in my late teens, he just stopped going. It did not make sense; I used to tease him saying that he is not a real fan, that no way would I ever stop going to watch the Villa. I remember quite clearly he told me that one day it may happen to me, and once I stop going- as he did- it becomes an easy habit to get into. I did not believe him, he was talking nonsense!

So forward twenty and a bit years…I am the one now in my mid thirties and the old fart is the wrong side of fifty. He came out of Villa retirement when Mon arrived and it was as if he had never been away. Nevertheless, during the last few seasons under Mon, I began to get increasingly more bored and fed-up of match days and even more questionable of the Premier League and all of the over the top hype that surrounds it. Granted, I was not Mon’s biggest fan during his last few seasons and thought that it may well have been for that reason why my enjoyment was diminishing. I made my mind up before the end of his last season not to renew my season ticket.

True to my word, last season under Houllier I did not have a season ticket though I did attend a decent amount of games, many of them at the tail end of the season. Yet with each game I was attending, I was finding myself becoming even more bored and my mind was wandering off during the match. Not even the pre match banter felt the same. The same old routine was becoming a chore. It just got in the way. It was just too much hassle.

My mind was set, I was packing up. Nothing would tempt me back, not even the promise of a big name manager or big new signings. Obviously neither of these two things happened anyway! Though again, I have been true to my word. This season I have been to exactly ZERO games. What’s more, I have not felt at any time that I am missing anything. This has absolutely nothing to do with the current state of the club, or who our manager is, the type of football that we play etc...

I’m not really that sure if I want anything to reignite my interest to the levels it used to be, because I’m quite enjoying life without having to worry about the Villa (saying that out loud still feels all very peculiar and alien to me, yet at the same time I say it with genuine honesty).

I am not sure whether it is just a phase. Maybe I will get a sudden urge one day to get back down there, just as my brother did after over a decade and a half away. What it will take only time will tell, if it happens at all that is. Football is a game that I love but one that I am beginning to loathe. Aston Villa is the club that I still love, but no longer really care for as much as I would like to.

It is a shame, I was a good fan.

villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:43 am

On a more serious note, I don't think it's anything new. For many men in their 30's lifes priorities change. The crack is different than when you're in your teens or 20's. My old man stopped going in his 30's, we used to go again when I was getting into it and we had a few seasons going quite a bit but when I started going on my own he stopped again. He just goes occasionally, still loves it but never again will be a regular. My Mother however has only missed one home game this season and absolutely loves it. cheers
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:45 am

Sums up my feelings to, think I'll still carry on going to home games but tbh I'm not overly bothered anymore.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:48 am

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:It's like this guys reading my mind Rolling Eyes

Shocked you've never fecking been to Villa Park
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:50 am

MrMagoo wrote:Do you think this is a similar story across more clubs?

A lot of the magic has gone. It's a game for television.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down