JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cup and relegation

3 posters

Go down

Cup and relegation Empty Cup and relegation

Post  jpr60 Wed May 15, 2013 3:56 pm

Amazing that Wigan could beat ManC in the FA Cup Final, not so amazing that they got relegation confirmed a few days later. For all his proclaimations ("We'll win our final two games"; "We're good enough to be a top-ten side") Martinez has failed to do the job (or Wigan simply aren't good enough. If they were good enough they wouldn't be fighting relegation at Easter each season, would they?)!
So. Wigan join the likes of Birmingham in winning a cup final and getting relegated. As a fan I'd prefer to lose the final TBH but I'm hearing thoughts that fans perhaps doubt that their team could ever win a cup final (again) and so accept being relegated whilst applauding the record of having won a trophy. That doesn't work for me, how about you folks?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Cup and relegation Empty Re: Cup and relegation

Post  villainies Thu May 16, 2013 7:28 am

I think it all depends on what club you support. There are only 2 trophies out of five that most clubs will get a chance at winning so for a Wigan supporter it won't be eclipsed unless they win it again. For my part I would love to see the Villa win the FA Cup, it's the holy grail for those of us old enough (just) to remember winning the league and the European Cup. Relegation would be grim but I'd accept it for the FA Cup. I'd like to see us win the UEFA Cup too but the current format and vast amount of games makes that unlikely IMO.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu May 16, 2013 7:50 am

I partly agree with Villainies. I wouldn't accept relegation in exchange for a cup win and I can see why as an Arsenal fan you wouldn't either. For clubs like Blues and Wigan they have an entire history bereft of silverware with the best they can hope for league wise is mid table mediocrity in the top division. They have generations of fans who have never seen any success. Any Arsenal fan aged 16-100 will have memories of titles and cups so it's a different mentality altogether. Fans of the huge clubs are spoilt in that sense. From the Villa fan's point of view I would however take 17th place and a cup win over 4th place in the league as sport is about winning not merely taking part.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum