JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England v Poland

5 posters

Go down

England v Poland Empty England v Poland

Post  jpr60 Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:08 pm

We haven't got Cashley but that's OK cos Baines does a good job, Walker's out but again that's OK cos I don't rate him too highly in defence - Smalling in to replace? - and I'd like to see Fat Frank replaced in midfield by Jack Wilshere. Give the young'n a go in the centre of the park, he'll certainly be more creative than Lampard IMO. Aside from that the team doesn't look too bad although I wouldn't be surprised to see Milner get a start if Hodgson feels a bit cautious. Any thoughts?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

England v Poland Empty Re: England v Poland

Post  villanfromluton Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:25 pm

I would have Phil Jones at right back rather than Smalling, otherwise will keep the same team JP. Can understand you wanting Wilshere in but Lampard did ok the other night and should stay in IMHO. Not sure of Wellbeck on the left, if Milner is to play it would be there for me
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:56 pm

The problem with Lampard in the team is that he doesn't create. He goes forward and can come up with a shot but you don't see him playing someone in. When Wilshere came on the other night he immediately put Rooney through on goal, something Lampard doesn't seem to be able to do. If we've got Gerrard in the holding position the other midfielder should be creating IMO - that's Jack Wilshere. I don't see the two wide-man as midifelders - that was a 4-2-4 we started with last time out. I suspect there'll be a place for Milner against Poland, replacing Welbeck so it'll be a 4-3-3 but, as I say I'd prefer Wilshere in from the start. Bring on Fat Frank as an impact player (in every sense) if needed in the 89th minute!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:02 pm

Wilshere is the future for England, but have to say from the bits of him this season I have been disappointed with his attitude. Seems as if he thinks he has a divine right not to be tackled. I think he can be the fulcrum of the team but he has to get the attitude out of him, like confidence but not arrogance. We have to win on Tuesday and would not be surprised if he starts ahead of Lampard, managers decision and the thing about Lampard is he has never moaned when out of the team, obviously loves playing for his country
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:44 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Wilshere is the future for England, but have to say from the bits of him this season I have been disappointed with his attitude. Seems as if he thinks he has a divine right not to be tackled. I think he can be the fulcrum of the team but he has to get the attitude out of him, like confidence but not arrogance. We have to win on Tuesday and would not be surprised if he starts ahead of Lampard, managers decision and the thing about Lampard is he has never moaned when out of the team, obviously loves playing for his country
Luton, I know to many fans of The Arsenal, this will sound like treachery but I have to agree with you regarding Wilshire.
He is spending an awful lot of time on his arse and constantly seems to complain, which has made him more of a target for some rough treatment. He does need to tough up and start to move the ball more quickly. I worry about his attitude and don't want him to go the way of many other talented young English players who have been fecked by having a bad attitude. He's also making himself a target for the media. He needs to shut up and get his head down.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:35 pm

Apparently Carrick will replace Lampard tonight. That's OK if it releases Gerrard to get forward and it does give the added plus of Carrick being able to use his passing skills to get the attack moving so I'm in favour - but I'd still have preferred Wilshere with Gerrard in the holding role. We'll see.......................

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:13 pm

And Smalling replaces Walker. So it's a straight 4-2-4, the defence, Gerrard and Carrick in midfield with Townsend, Sturridge, Rooney and Welbeck in attack. OK, I suppose Rooney may drop deep when needed for a 4-3-3 but those wide players cannot be considered as midfielders IMO. Pretty gung-ho for someone who is considered to be a touch cautious - fortune favours the brave, go to it England and St Roy Very Happy 

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:47 pm

So, how do we feel following a positive result last night? How should the team develop?
Townsend continued to drive on last night but otherwise I thought some of the forward play was poor with Welbeck and Sturridge often unable to put two passes together and the chances that went begging could have cost us had the Pole's not been equally profligate on a couple of occasions.
I've noticed that some "experts" are suggesting we go with last night's midfield and attack but change the back four to Johnson, Smalling, Jones and Cole. I'd accept Johnson but I think we should let Cahill and Jagielka develop their centre-back partnership and I reckon Baines has earned the right to first-choice on the left.
In midfield I'd like to see the addition of Wilshere and play with three forwards, perhaps Rooney, Sturridge and Townsend with the likes of Walcott, Welbeck and Oxlaide-Chamberlain being given the nod depending on the match. Maybe there's a case for not ignoring Lambert too, he certainly would've put away a couple of the chances missed last night.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Oct 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Whichever way you shuffle it, unless we improve our abilty to keep possession by stringing a few passes together and also get some movement off the ball, we're wasting the fare to Brazil.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:36 pm

In my opinion our best chance of winning an international tournament was with the squad we had 2002 -2006. From keeper through to strikers i'd say in comparison 16 of the current 23 wouldn't get a look in. However, the best they achieved was quarter finals. This time there is no expectation, qualification to the second round will be seen as a positive. The Greeks in 2004 euros are proof that it can be done. Much rather see England involved next summer than not and lets be fair unless you support one of the chosen few clubs, we need our international football.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:03 am

It's interesting (in a pathetic kind of way) to note how the press and others have leapt on Hodgson's half-time team-talk joke as the main topic rather than offering any real praise to his having managed to get England qualified for the finals. It's always got to be negative hasn't it - it just takes me back to how Alf Ramsey was treated in the media and he managed to win the World Cup!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:39 am

I think Hodgson is doing pretty well with what he's got. We aren't spectacular but we're not cack either, 8th -12th in the world is probably about right. If we made it to the semis I think that would be a big deal, an over-achievement and if we don't make it to the quarters it would be disappointing. This time though we aren't seeded so our group could be very tough.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum