JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All over bar the Fat Lady singing

2 posters

Go down

All over bar the Fat Lady singing Empty All over bar the Fat Lady singing

Post  jpr60 Mon May 05, 2014 2:19 pm

so what are our impressions of season 2013-2014; what were the good/best bits and what were the worst, who were "the goodies" and who were "the baddies"?
For me the best was that one-touch team goal that The Arsenal concocted early in the season against Norwich - I've never seen a goal as intricate/clever as that (except, perhaps in 5-a-side game in the gym). The worst (from an Arsenal perspective) was getting stuffed by Chelsea.
I thought Suarez was magnificent in his attacking play although I still can't bring myself to actually like the bloke (perhaps that would've changed had he been allowed to join The Arsenal); Kompany, for the most part an impressive defender (especially given the quality of certain of his Citeh co-defenders). In fact defending has not, for me been much of a high point in the Premier League this season. Chelsea and (even) Arsenal have had a respectable number of clean sheets but Citeh and Liverpool have sometimes been poor defensively - ManU even worse, of course.
Goal-keeping seems to have improved after a longish period of relatively poor displays - the England squad at least have a few decent keepers to choose from for the World Cup squad, which certainly wasn't the case in recent times.
Refereeing continues on it's downward spiral which will only be halted when technology is allowed to help the poor buggers - but that's been an on-going story for years now.
Mourinho tops my "baddies" manager list although Pardew has been pushing him a bit. Mourinho has just been a poor imitation of himself (i.e. without the "lovable?" or humorous bits) and still hasn't managed to learn anything approaching class. Pardew - well, a sad stroppy old git who really should be ashamed of himself IMO.
Martinez has continued to impress me (Mourinho should take notes) - Moyes totally failed in his quest to step up to the demands of the job at Old Trafford although, in fairness it was a tall order. I'm not sure the next bloke, whoever he is will have much to show for his efforts next season either.
Surprises? Liverpool - cos in the first half of the season they looked pretty ordinary to me (aside from Suarez); ManU - cos although I thought they'd won the title last season with next-to-nothing plus a striker who managed to stay fit for a second season running I assumed they'd manage to keep near the top as usual.
Disappointments? Well, I expected The Arsenal to finish top-3 at least but, being realistic, when you lose three-to-four key players to injury at any one time success can prove difficult; Fulham - I can't believe how poor they became through the season; Villa - I expected better.
I've probably overlooked a whole load of stuff that I got worked up about during the season - no doubt you'll be able to remind me?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

All over bar the Fat Lady singing Empty Re: All over bar the Fat Lady singing

Post  jpr60 Sat May 17, 2014 1:26 pm

Glad to see that most people agree with my "goal-of-the-season". It's logical - I've been watching football since 1960 and I've never seen a goal like that anywhere, a true team-goal - probably won't see its like again either!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed May 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Shame that no other fecker gives a toss.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed May 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Ah!! Jpr. The fact is you wrote so eloquently, you said it all and the rest of us are totally in agreement with you. Wink 

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue May 27, 2014 7:02 pm

Just a wee addition. I couldn't let the amazing talents which were exhibited by two of my favourite players in the CL final go un-mentionned.
Bale, looking hapless and hopeless in lone attempts at goal managing to head home the crucial second goal and that Super-Star Ronaldo, looking equally useful during the match scoring a wonder penalty that resulted in such a display of self-love that even his poor old mum must have thrown up. It must be wonderful to be a Real Madrid fan.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum