JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diving

3 posters

Go down

Diving Empty Diving

Post  jpr60 Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Some players do, on a regular basis, some players have done and other players never do (or haven't been seen to) but do you understand it? I played football (many years ago) and my thing was, verses opponents, they never hurt me, they never stopped me. So if I was fouled I'd front it, not roll around holding my head/back/leg whatever (although I'd make sure the perp got some back during the rest of the game) and if I was going for goal I'd avoid the last-ditch tackle/foul in order to get through with the ball and score. The only time I remember shouting for a pen was when I was on my back with the keeper having punched me in the face going for a high ball - my team-mates crowded round saying, "Don't complain, you've scored" (apparently I got my head on the ball just as the keeper arrived with his fist)!
So I really can't accept the pretending to be hurt (to get someone sent off?) or the diving when you're going for goal. Rooney gets it all, of course, he dives and he takes the spot-kick, but he's only one of many and it's just bollix as far as I'm concerned.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Diving Empty Re: Diving

Post  Tilton Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:22 pm

Things have changed since the 1930's and 40's though.

Unfortunately it seems to be part of the game now, and has been for a good while. I think it's widely accepted that it started with the influx of foreign players to the English leagues, attracted by the big money and bringing their dirty tricks with them.

Blame Sky.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:11 pm

They are taught how to do it...
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Tilton wrote:Things have changed since the 1930's and 40's though.

Unfortunately it seems to be part of the game now, and has been for a good while. I think it's widely accepted that it started with the influx of foreign players to the English leagues, attracted by the big money and bringing their dirty tricks with them.

Blame Sky.

I like that things have changed quote... I was thinking JPR was in the trenches that first christmas England Germany match
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:04 pm

Tease

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:48 pm

Remember; don't mention the war.........

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:12 pm

So you think you got away with it, eh?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:09 pm

Trespassers will be tied up with piano wire

Tilton

Back to top Go down