JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

13 years and counting.

5 posters

Go down

13 years and counting. Empty 13 years and counting.

Post  jpr60 Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:43 am

Congratulations to Arsenal and Arsene Wenger for having stayed together to make Arsene Arsenal's longest-ever serving manager. Lots of criticism has flown Arsene's way during his time with us, some of it valid, most of it utter bull and some of it, sadly because the poor bloke wasn't born on our piece of the British Isles.
I'm proud that Wenger is at Arsenal. He is an intelligent man, knows football as well as the best and better than most, understands how people work, both physically and mentally and is a fine representative for the club.
"He hasn't won anything for 4 or 5 years, he should be replaced"? He will, again and he'll do it without breaking the bank.
Oh yes and replaced by who? Where is there, right now a manager who could take over and/or improve the team/club? As an Arsenal fan, a football fan, just look at what he's allowed us to enjoy during his time thus far :
1)The Invincibles.
2)A team with players such as Bergkamp, Henry, Pires and Vieira at their respective peaks (OK, DB was already in place when Wenger joined - the rest were 'nobodys' until he brought them together).
3)The current squad, blooming and sometimes playing football as good as I've ever seen, anywhere.
I'm wishing Arsene all the very best for the future, with us I trust, with many, many thanks for what you've done for our club.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

13 years and counting. Empty Re: 13 years and counting.

Post  jak Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:29 am

I'm with you all the way jpr.
Wenger has been a truly remarkable manager.
Here's to many more years to come Arsene :chug:

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:02 pm

Great manager but the pressure is on now. No matter what some fans think, no trophies for 5 years is significant and this season its likely that Arsenal will get no trophy and no CL qualification something that has been a given for a long time. Would the final nail in the coffin be Tottingham gaining the 4th spot?
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:05 pm

villainies wrote:Great manager but the pressure is on now. No matter what some fans think, no trophies for 5 years is significant and this season its likely that Arsenal will get no trophy and no CL qualification something that has been a given for a long time. Would the final nail in the coffin be Tottingham gaining the 4th spot?

:fishing:
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:31 pm

villainies wrote:Great manager but the pressure is on now. No matter what some fans think, no trophies for 5 years is significant and this season its likely that Arsenal will get no trophy and no CL qualification something that has been a given for a long time. Would the final nail in the coffin be Tottingham gaining the 4th spot?

I see no coffins nor nails at The Grove. Perhaps we are confusing The Arsenal with another club? Oh and Tottingham gaining fourth spot? Well, they can have it, three spots below The Arsenal!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 pm

jpr60 wrote:

I see no coffins nor nails at The Grove. Perhaps we are confusing The Arsenal with another club? Oh and Tottingham gaining fourth spot? Well, they can have it, three spots below The Arsenal!

Come on japes, you can't be that happy its just not possible. Its not out of the realms of possibilty that you finish 5th this year with no trophy. If you do will you still be so buoyant?
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:47 pm

villainies wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

Come on japes, you can't be that happy its just not possible. Its not out of the realms of possibilty that you finish 5th this year with no trophy. If you do will you still be so buoyant?

The Arsenal are a football club. We have no special claim nor right to win trophies every year, nor finish top four so that we may compete in a European competition that should really be for champions only. The fact that we play attractive football and have excellent players is enough to keep me happy (I've been a fan for a long time, sometimes we couldn't even kick a ball straight) and I truly believe that we have the talent to win things this season. If we aren't one of the four winning teams for the trophies we are competing for it will be disappointing but I'm willing to bet we'll have played some great games, scored some great goals and been, as they say, there or thereabouts when the trophies are handed out.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:18 pm

I still reckon the rumblings will grow if Arsenal fall out of the top 4 (almost unthinkable a few seasons ago) but the club would move on, get a new manager but have to compete with Citeh and maybe others on the cash front to get back into the top 4.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:42 pm

villainies wrote:I still reckon the rumblings will grow if Arsenal fall out of the top 4 (almost unthinkable a few seasons ago) but the club would move on, get a new manager but have to compete with Citeh and maybe others on the cash front to get back into the top 4.

It's not The Arsenal way - we're a club with the business side run like a business i.e. we earn more than we pay out.
The likes of Chelsea, ManC etc rely on a generous benefactor - when he's no longer around the club is in queer street. I sincerely hope that we won't take that route - it's a short-term boost for a longer term disaster IMO.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:24 pm

jpr60 wrote:
villainies wrote:I still reckon the rumblings will grow if Arsenal fall out of the top 4 (almost unthinkable a few seasons ago) but the club would move on, get a new manager but have to compete with Citeh and maybe others on the cash front to get back into the top 4.

It's not The Arsenal way - we're a club with the business side run like a business i.e. we earn more than we pay out.
The likes of Chelsea, ManC etc rely on a generous benefactor - when he's no longer around the club is in queer street. I sincerely hope that we won't take that route - it's a short-term boost for a longer term disaster IMO.

Arsenal are in debt by few hundred million aren't they?

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:36 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

You're talking about the money borrowed to build the stadium at Ashburton Grove I assume. Well, obviously we borrowed to build, not many businesses have a spare £400m sitting around but it's like the bloke who gets married and buys a house. It's an investment for the future. Meanwhile our core business - the football side - is run at a profit, which is not the case, for example for Chelsea or Real Madrid who lose millions each year, coughing up for new players and their ridiculous wages. That sort of 'business' has only one possible end.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:00 pm

jpr60 wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

You're talking about the money borrowed to build the stadium at Ashburton Grove I assume. Well, obviously we borrowed to build, not many businesses have a spare £400m sitting around but it's like the bloke who gets married and buys a house. It's an investment for the future. Meanwhile our core business - the football side - is run at a profit, which is not the case, for example for Chelsea or Real Madrid who lose millions each year, coughing up for new players and their ridiculous wages. That sort of 'business' has only one possible end.

But even Wenger has said that Arsenal need to sell for more then they buy for the next few seasons, that doesn't sound like a club making a profit. There is no profit to be had in football, the only decent pay out is the champions league and for most of teams spend more in a transfer window then the actual prize money.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:10 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

But even Wenger has said that Arsenal need to sell for more then they buy for the next few seasons, that doesn't sound like a club making a profit. There is no profit to be had in football, the only decent pay out is the champions league and for most of teams spend more in a transfer window then the actual prize money.

Arsenal have, once again, returned a healthy profit.
The ground is a long term liability, as jpr says, just like a persons mortgage. It's a debt structured over many years.
I, like jpr (note the commas Very Happy ), am an Arsenal supporter for over 50 years. I have seen the whole spectrum in that time but what Wenger has delivered in his time has been nothing short of fantastic, for both Arsenal fans and lovers of pure football alike. There is no one better.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:11 pm

No doubting what Arsene has done for you, I remeber you finishing below us, that thought is pretty unthinkable now.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:11 pm

jak wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

The ground is a long term liability, as jpr says, just like a persons mortgage. It's a debt structured over many years.
I, like jpr (note the commas Very Happy ), am an Arsenal supporter for over 50 years. I have seen the whole spectrum in that time but what Wenger has delivered in his time has been nothing short of fantastic, for both Arsenal fans and lovers of pure football alike. There is no one better.

Who did you support in the first half of your life then?

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:22 pm

Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:
jak wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

Who did you support in the first half of your life then?

I supported family planning in all Essex coastal towns but they wouldn't listen to me, now look what's happened to the world. geek

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum