JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Campbell set to sign

+4
ADRIAN_1976
jak
jpr60
villanfromluton
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Campbell set to sign - Page 2 Empty Re: Campbell set to sign

Post  jpr60 Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:06 pm

[quote="villanfromluton"]
jpr60 wrote:Muich as I'm surprised by Wenger re-signing an ex-player I've enough confidence in him to know what he's doing. This is certainly no sympathy signing, Wenger doesn't do sympathy - he's monitored Campbell's condition over the 2-3 months he's been training at the club, the fitness coach has worked with him too and has taken the opportunity of taking him on as cover. I suspect he'll get a game or two in the FA Cup, I hope he won't be needed for Prem League matches, except on the bench and I hope this will see us through to the end of the season.
All pretty interesting stuff - makes the fans nervous but it's a fantastic turnaround for Campbell who must have thought he'd reached the end of his career. Good luck to him - his last performance in an Arsenal shirt saw him score against Barca in the CL Final. I'll be happy if he's on the bench for this season's final![/quote]

have you heard a rumour he is going to Chelski then JPR?

It's a bit like being a father with you Lutes, or rather a grandfather.
Listen sonny, you're a smashin' lad but you really do need to know when it's time to stop, OK? Now, get upstairs, wash your face'n hands, clean your teeth, get undressed for bed and Grandma will be upstairs in a while for a story. I know you'll want 'Puss in Boots' but it ain't gonna happen, 'The Famous Five' is what Grandma will read you one chapter of, OK? Good, goodnight, sleep tight.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:26 pm

I think grandma should also read great uncle Arsene a story as well. Maybe a book on "how not to lose the plot" may come in useful given his potential signing Wink
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:06 pm

Very Happy
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:30 pm

villanfromluton wrote:I think grandma should also read great uncle Arsene a story as well. Maybe a book on "how not to lose the plot" may come in useful given his potential signing Wink

Sol's story is a bit like Red Riding hood.
"oh Grandma what a great big phone you've got"

"All the better for shoving up your arse you kinky bastard" affraid
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:37 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
villanfromluton wrote:I think grandma should also read great uncle Arsene a story as well. Maybe a book on "how not to lose the plot" may come in useful given his potential signing Wink

Dont get Malachite involved in this Shocked
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:43 pm

villanfromluton wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:

Dont get Malachite involved in this Shocked

Now listen here.you and Mal have built some bridges lately and have become the resident dear old pals.Don't get letting yourself down by acting yourself again and upsetting him Mad
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:50 pm

Bollox, he has upset me today with his fascination about giving your boss a seeing to up his arse Mad
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:29 pm

It makes you wonder about the standard of defenders out there if Arsen is resigning Sol.. He's not a spring chicken after all
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:37 pm

QBVILLA wrote:The way this season has gone with both Man Utd at Chelsea stuttering Arsenal have a great opportunity to actually win the title rather than just finish in the top 4.To sign a 35yr old who wasn't good enough 3yrs ago for a CL side seems to me a very unambitious move.Ok he won't be first choice, but it only takes an injury/suspension and Wenger has the choice of Silvestre (deemed past his best by Fergie 2yrs ago) or Campbell (deemed past his best by Wenger 3yrs ago) or even senderos who is basically shite.Chances are Arsenal won't have a better opportunity of winning the title as Chelsea (ban depending) and Man City will continue to splash the cash next season and could be out of reach of the rest of the pack.It isn't completely out of the question for both first choice centre halves to be out either as proved by Man Utd.I think this could prove Wenger's worst decision since he sold Upson.

I have no doubt that if Wenger had addressed the problem at centre back four seasons ago, we would have won the PL at least once in that period and probably other trophies too.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:20 pm

They were debating it on the radio this morning and appeared 50/50. Cant honestly see hm doing a top job for you now, know he has been training for a couple of months, but is asking a lot to get back playing at his age. Someone said he looked a bit overweight, cant believe that is true to be honest. As for being a good influence in the dressing room, cant see that. Always seems to come across as a bit of a loner and his disappearing act for Arsenal v West Ham was very strange. Surely there must be a better bet as Arsenal have a very good chance of winning the premiership, but do you think he is saving his money for a centre forward?
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:21 pm

jak wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:The way this season has gone with both Man Utd at Chelsea stuttering Arsenal have a great opportunity to actually win the title rather than just finish in the top 4.To sign a 35yr old who wasn't good enough 3yrs ago for a CL side seems to me a very unambitious move.Ok he won't be first choice, but it only takes an injury/suspension and Wenger has the choice of Silvestre (deemed past his best by Fergie 2yrs ago) or Campbell (deemed past his best by Wenger 3yrs ago) or even senderos who is basically shite.Chances are Arsenal won't have a better opportunity of winning the title as Chelsea (ban depending) and Man City will continue to splash the cash next season and could be out of reach of the rest of the pack.It isn't completely out of the question for both first choice centre halves to be out either as proved by Man Utd.I think this could prove Wenger's worst decision since he sold Upson.

I have no doubt that if Wenger had addressed the problem at centre back four seasons ago, we would have won the PL at least once in that period and probably other trophies too.

All managers have a blind spot (pardon the pun) but Wenger seems to struggle with centre halves and goalkeepers.Campbell aside, the only top quality centre halves that have been at Arsenal during wenger's reign were there when he arrived.Vermaelen looks decent, but is he of the highest quality? I'd say maybe in a couple of years but at the moment no.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:24 pm

QB, Gallas is a good centre half when he has his mind on it
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:27 pm

villanfromluton wrote:QB, Gallas is a good centre half when he has his mind on it

When he has his mind on it being the key there.His reaction a few seasons back at St Andrews to the late penalty IMO was a major factor in Arsenal slipping out of the title race, and he was captain then as well.He's nowhere near the class of Adams or Keown and think it's fair to say wenger only got him because Cashley Hole wanted to go to Chelsea.Senderos,Stepanovs, releasing Upson for next to nothing.wenger struggles with centre halves i tells ya
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:32 pm

He has played well this season to be fair. I agree his attitude and some of his comments around the time of the Blues game were terrible, remember him saying things about Walcott that were not needed in the public domain. Wenger actually got Upson from Luton, though agree he made a mistake in letting him go. The problem at the time is he wasnt getting regular football, much like Cahill at Villa
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:51 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
villanfromluton wrote:QB, Gallas is a good centre half when he has his mind on it

When he has his mind on it being the key there.His reaction a few seasons back at St Andrews to the late penalty IMO was a major factor in Arsenal slipping out of the title race, and he was captain then as well.He's nowhere near the class of Adams or Keown and think it's fair to say wenger only got him because Cashley Hole wanted to go to Chelsea.Senderos,Stepanovs, releasing Upson for next to nothing.wenger struggles with centre halves i tells ya

I said the season before last that we should have moved for Dunne. He was relatively cheap and was what we needed, a traditional British centre half who knew when to do the simple thing by kicking the ball up the arse and out of the area. Since then Villa have signed him and I think he is proving to be a good buy.
You're right QB, managers do have blind spots.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2