JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not Good Enough II

5 posters

Go down

Not Good Enough II Empty Not Good Enough II

Post  jpr60 Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:39 pm

Well, we weren't were we? We weren't against ManU and we weren't against Chelsea.
Against Chelesa we were, at least involved. We had more of the play - more possession of the ball, more shots both on and off target, more corners won, we even committed more fouls - we were involved but we wouldn't have scored a goal if we had continued to play all night and our defence? Well TBH we don't have a defensive unit as such, we have a keeper, a right-back, two centre-backs and a left-back. Like them or not they're all pretty decent players but they don't play as a unit. When an error is made (i.e. several times per match) they stand around looking at each other.
Look, we've got Steve Bould working with the academy group - why don't we ask him nicely to sort out the defence?
Meanwhile, third place and Champions League anyone? Anyone?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Not Good Enough II Empty Re: Not Good Enough II

Post  jak Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm

I think we will be in the top 4.
You're right about our defensive unit. Though Clichy has not been the player he was for too long now. I don't think he would have been playing had Gibbs not been injured.
It's incredible how we have been caught defending too high up the pitch against the two best teams in the PL. You cannot get caught square when defending that far forward against excellent forwards and love them or hate them, they don't come much better than Rooney and Drogba. It's suicidal and we got what we deserved for our naivety.
Why this wasn't addressed after the United game beggars belief as does the fact that we have played so long without a recognised striker. Madness !!!
D'you know, I'm racking my brain (leave it !!!) for what has happened to bring the change in Wenger and some of the strange decisions that he has made over the last few seasons.
Now when I look back it seems to me that Wenger has not been so positive since the departure of David Dein.
Again, love him or hate him, Dein was a powerful and shrewd business man who could make things happen, when Wenger identified a player Dein could go and get him. I think it possible that Wenger is lacking the background support that he had during Dein's time but who knows.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  MrMagoo Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:29 pm

Are you surprised Wenger didn't bring in some more players during the transfer window? I know that typically the January transfer window isnt a great time to buy, but I think you are in need of players in key areas (central defence, centre midfield and a striker).
MrMagoo
MrMagoo
Da Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:42 pm

MrMagoo wrote:Are you surprised Wenger didn't bring in some more players during the transfer window? I know that typically the January transfer window isnt a great time to buy, but I think you are in need of players in key areas (central defence, centre midfield and a striker).

'Bringing in some players' sounds ideal until you think who? from where? OK, Wenger could have perhaps bought a jobsworth striker and even if it didn't work it wouldn't have been much worse than us not scoring anyway but TBH there aren't too many good players out there who are available. Aside from the obvious lack of a fit striker I don't really see any need elsewhere on the pitch. What's missing is a bit of organization IMO - the defenders aren't bad, just not (apparently) working as a unit, the midfield is, by comparison with our recent opponents as good as any (again IMO). I dunno, I'm just bemused. Looking at the players - the individuals - we're as good as any. Even without a recognized striker we're second-top goalscorers in the Prem. Aaaaarrrrgh! My brain hurts!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  MrMagoo Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:15 pm

The amount of injuries you have had hasnt helped either.

As soon as a player comes back, someone else gets injured so players havent had a chance to build up a partnership/understanding
MrMagoo
MrMagoo
Da Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:20 pm

Strikers win matches

Arsenals top scorer is Fabregas a midfielder with 11, next its Arshavin a sort of midfielder with 7

When Arsenal were winning trophies, Henry was 25-30 each season - thats the difference

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:59 pm

Lionheart wrote:Strikers win matches

Arsenals top scorer is Fabregas a midfielder with 11, next its Arshavin a sort of midfielder with 7

When Arsenal were winning trophies, Henry was 25-30 each season - thats the difference

your pleased that villas top scorer is a striker then Tease

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Arshavin one goal in eleven games !!!
Being played as a lone striker. Cross after cross. For HIM to head? Extraordinary!!!!
So one of our best players played so far out of position as to make him totally ineffective.
Of course, when we lost Van Persie and Bendtner months ago, we should have bought a striker. It was vital.
I am not one who thinks we need four or five players but we've sold and not replaced two key players, a centre forward and a central midfielder. Song improved so the central midfield was solved but the striker situation was not and then we lost VP and Bendtner, which put us in an impossible situation.
Also the rest of our squad needs to tough up a bit, they never look up for the fight. I get fed up with seeing some of our midfield easily shoved off the ball.
I do agree with jpr though regarding our defensive problems.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:22 pm

RVP is a massive miss, you are nowhere near the same team without him. Still think Almunia is not good enough as well, other than those two positions dont think there is much wrong
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:31 pm

villanfromluton wrote:RVP is a massive miss, you are nowhere near the same team without him. Still think Almunia is not good enough as well, other than those two positions dont think there is much wrong

Almunia is a liability at the moment but he can't say he hasn't been given the time to get his confidence back. The problem is he's getting worse not better.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:42 pm

He certainly isnt a top keeper IMHO, strangely enough I dont think Cech is these days either. Van Der Sar is still good, but think that the likes of Reinna, Given and even at his age Fridel are better than the top 3 teams keepers
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Feb 08, 2010 9:53 pm

villanfromluton wrote:He certainly isnt a top keeper IMHO, strangely enough I dont think Cech is these days either. Van Der Sar is still good, but think that the likes of Reinna, Given and even at his age Fridel are better than the top 3 teams keepers

I think Cech did well against us. I like Given, obviously, Friedel is good too but I'm not so sure about Reinna.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:01 pm

Jak, I dont think Cech has been the same player since his injury, certainly looks vulnerable on crosses, but when your centre forward is 5 foot tall, dont suppose that is too intimidating. I think Given is the top keeper, still cant fathom out why no one bought him from the Toon
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum