JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Blitz Street

2 posters

Go down

Blitz Street Empty Blitz Street

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:50 pm

Anyone else watching this on Channel 4. Quiet amazing the power of these bombs they are testing, just detonated a 500kg one a fair distance from the mock up street they have built and the damage to the houses is shocking. Bigger bombs to be tested yet still really makes you think how bad it would be to sit through the blitz.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Blitz Street Empty Re: Blitz Street

Post  Bedshammer Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:58 pm

The Daily Mail magazine last weekend was a blitz edition, which made interesting reading. One article made the point that the blitz WAS gradually destroying morale and that Hitler's biggest mistake was to turn his attention to Russia.
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:07 pm

He certainly made a mistake when he decided to invade them before finishing us of, Russia never had any intention of attacking Germany.

I know his intention with the blitz was to break the british spirit to fight the war, think it probably had the opposite effect though, watched a program not so long ago about Coventry and how it was completely destroyed by the bombing, but that after that production in the war factories actually increased due to people working harder with a spirit of 'lets fucking kill them' attitude. Also lent to the argument for when we started to completely bomb the shit out of them Twisted Evil

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:44 pm

It's right that we should remember it though.

My mum and her friend went up to London to sign up for the Wrens. On their way there, the air raid sirens went off and a warden shouted at them to lie on the ground. My mum's friend replied "Not in my best fecking coat!" They carried on to the recruiting office where the friend was accepted but my mum was too short.
The friend completed her basic training and was on a ship to her first posting (don't know where) and it was bombed out of the water. She didn't survive. The story about the coat is my mum's last memory of her.
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum