JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So no new keeper.

3 posters

Go down

So no new keeper. Empty So no new keeper.

Post  jak Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:31 am

A bit disappointing that we have not strengthened a problem position. Though I was not sure that Schwarzer was the answer. Let's hope Almunia can get his arse back into gear.

jak

Back to top Go down

So no new keeper. Empty Re: So no new keeper.

Post  QBVILLA Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:43 am

I can't believe Wenger didn't get a keeper and a centre half.it wouldn't have even needed big money.Someone like Collins and Dunne at Villa or even Johnson from blues to play alongside Vermaelen along with a decent keeper would IMO have seen Arsenal put in a real title challenge.Can't see it though now with Almunia in the team
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:07 am

Not sure that bringing Schwarzer into the team would have made any difference. What we need is a keeper who can consistently put in good performances - Almunia was that man the season before last, last season it seemed as if he'd lost his confidence (despite an amazing display against Barca - we tend to forget that). Thing is, who are these top keepers? Which keepers don't make errors which cost goals? Everyone would say that Chelsea, ManU, Liverpool, ManC have excellent keepers but all of them (OK, not Hart as yet but he's only just started) have made massive blunders to concede goals or have gone through spells of being inadequate. I just hope Wenger's trust in Almunia is well-founded. I think the future looks bright with the young Polish guy (no, not Fabianki) and I suppose if Schwarzer had come in he would have been our keeper for a couple of years until the young guy was seen to be ready. Should the situation not have greatly improved I suppose the January window will allow us to get a replacement in - meanwhile, come on Almunia - we love you!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:00 am

QBVILLA wrote:I can't believe Wenger didn't get a keeper and a centre half.it wouldn't have even needed big money.Someone like Collins and Dunne at Villa or even Johnson from blues to play alongside Vermaelen along with a decent keeper would IMO have seen Arsenal put in a real title challenge.Can't see it though now with Almunia in the team

QB, are you pissed? What about Koscielny and Squillacci?
Come on, wakey wakey, the barbie's over now !! Wink

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:03 am

jak wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:I can't believe Wenger didn't get a keeper and a centre half.it wouldn't have even needed big money.Someone like Collins and Dunne at Villa or even Johnson from blues to play alongside Vermaelen along with a decent keeper would IMO have seen Arsenal put in a real title challenge.Can't see it though now with Almunia in the team

Players that will need time to get used to the Premiership and the way Koscienly was brushed aside against Blackburn suggest to me that could be a while yet.Arsenal are crying out for a big no nonsense stopper in the Tony Adams mould.there's plenty of others to leave the football to.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:13 am

QBVILLA wrote:
jak wrote:

Players that will need time to get used to the Premiership and the way Koscienly was brushed aside against Blackburn suggest to me that could be a while yet.Arsenal are crying out for a big no nonsense stopper in the Tony Adams mould.there's plenty of others to leave the football to.

There aint many Tony Adams around. I would not have minded an old fashioned English hoofer but I am quite happy with what we've got. I think Squillacci has been bought as first choice to play next to Vermaelen and provided Djourou can stay fit we've got decent cover at last. I also think that Koscielny looks a real bright prospect. As you say, a little naive on one occasion against Blackburn but he'll learn and had Clichy been sharper we would not have lost a goal to his error.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26 pm

I'm OK with what we've got back-four, Sagna with Eboue as cover, Clichy/Gibbs equally good plus two from Djourou, Koscielny, Squillacci, Vermaelen (as long as Vermaelen is one of the two!) in the middle. What is important is that they get to know how to play together - that Blackburn goal had Koscielny dragged out of position to cover right-back (Sagna's responsibility/error IMO) where he got dumped and Clichy ball-watching instead of picking up his player, a very poor goal to concede! However, I remember Tony Adams being left for dead a few times (OK, not by such meaningless lumps as Diouf) early in his career.
From what I've seen Koscielny looks sharp - I thought he'd be a bit light-weight for English football (and perhaps the build-up to that Blackburn goal might support that fear) but I'd have no problem if he were chosen to play alongside Vermaelen. I'd prefer Djourou, TBH - he's a big lad and I've always thought he'd make the grade but injuries have always interrupted progress (plus playing alongside Gallas - never an easy task for a youngster) - it's a case of 'Arsene knows'!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum