JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Not important but......

+2
jak
jpr60
6 posters

Go down

Not important but...... Empty Not important but......

Post  jpr60 Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 pm

we've managed to lose our final pre-season friendly 2-1 to Benfica in Portugal. 1-0 up when we had our strongest eleven out ('til half-time), Arshavin, Gibbs setting up RvP for the goal, but the various substitutions showed the lack of real strength in depth (in case we weren't already aware of that) of the squad so I'm hoping this coming week brings a couple of new faces through the door.
Everywhere I look it's doom'n gloom, everyone fearing that we'll be out of the CL at the qualification stage (Udinese), we'll be out of the title race before October - I hope this feeling isn't alive in the club itself cos it's doing my head in. The thought that we needed strengthening - we've added two good players - even before having to accept that our captain will leave along with Nasri, following last season's capitulation has brought on this general feeling of malaise amongst many Gooners. I can't recall such a general low - not even sure that one or two excellent transfers would be the cure. It's what happens from next week on that counts - good performances and good results will provide the boost - anything less doesn't bear thinking about.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Not important but...... Empty Re: Not important but......

Post  jak Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:21 pm

The problem is, jpr, that we are looking at a team that just cannot hold on to a lead.
I could make a list of unbelievable capitulations that have continued through the pre-season build up.
We do not have the players in house to address this problem, so we need to look elsewhere.
We need a centre back and a tough central midfield enforcer. Other clubs have got their business done. We're looking to address a problem that we've had for seasons now, yet it seems we're going to embark on another season with a squad not strong enough physically or in depth to mount a real challenge for the top trophies.
Also the Nasri situation is unbelievable we should be biting Man C's hand off for 20M under the circumstances. I just get the impression that our ship's going along with no one at the helm.
This Gazidis talks the talk but I'm not so sure he can walk the walk.
This next week will tell us a lot.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 am

The tension is mounting. There's a meeting between Gazidis and an Arsenal supporters group this week - last time he said the club were keeping quiet so as not to make negotiations difficult for the acquisition of new players - I hope those negotiations are finalised effin quick otherwise smooth-talking Gazidis is going to find this meeting pretty difficult.
I'm even getting e-mails from my eldest son in Switzerland - he's leading off about "one week to go, RvP, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Wilshere injured" saying that "Wenger could be out on his ear in a couple of weeks for allowing the Cesc and Nasri situation to undermine the seasons preparations".
I somehow feel responsible - my answer is, as I've mentioned on here, it no longer matters who's in or out, the season beckons and good results are a must. Can you believe I still have faith in Arsene, I still believe he "knows"?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:05 am

I don't think Wenger has done anything wrong. I think the agents have done you lot a bad turn by stirring up Fabregas and Nasri. Maybe Wenger could have been a bit stronger with them but I doubt that would have made much difference. Maybe the club should have stood up and said to the players you have a contract stand by it.
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:35 am

FrenchSpur wrote:I don't think Wenger has done anything wrong. I think the agents have done you lot a bad turn by stirring up Fabregas and Nasri. Maybe Wenger could have been a bit stronger with them but I doubt that would have made much difference. Maybe the club should have stood up and said to the players you have a contract stand by it.

I don't think the Fabregas situation has been caused by his agent. I feel that our failure to build a team around Fabregas has led to his frustration and for him, enough's enough.
The Nasri situation is obviously agent related but why his contract was not renegotiated earlier, who knows?
Anyway, Nasri is not a great loss, we had a good half a season from him, then he wants the earth. Adios!!
I too realise what Wenger brought to The Arsenal and I admire his attempt to do it again, a different way.
When that attempt failed, I don't think he was quick enough to recognise that failure and he persevered with players who eventually let him and the club down so badly.
I don't, however, want Wenger replaced.
For me the spotlight must turn on the executives and their apparent failure to get a deal done or to assert themselves on
the Fabregas situation. Our terms of trade should have been laid out firmly to Barcelona and stuck to.
You just get this feeling that everything's a bit wooly.
As jpr says, Gazidis meets a supporters group tonight. He bullshitted his way through a previous meeting, making all the right noises. That won't happen again and I think we'll see what he's made of at this meeting.
He could be the one who needs to go.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:41 am

Another thing slightly off topic.. I don't think players have noticed the financial realities of the world have come home to roost in football as elsewhere. I dont think a lot of the silly salaries are sustainable for much longer.
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  Internazionale_Villa Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:45 am

Are Arsenal fans seriously still happy having Wenger in charge? The guy has failed to deliver any trophy's for 6 years now.

Internazionale_Villa

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:54 am

Internazionale_Villa wrote:Are Arsenal fans seriously still happy having Wenger in charge? The guy has failed to deliver any trophy's for 6 years now.

Well you've been going from pillar to post and you've won feck all, so that don't work does it?
Shocked

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:59 am

jak wrote:
Internazionale_Villa wrote:Are Arsenal fans seriously still happy having Wenger in charge? The guy has failed to deliver any trophy's for 6 years now.

Well you've been going from pillar to post and you've won feck all, so that don't work does it?
Shocked

True but we don't have a team anywhere near the same quality as Arsenal.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:24 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jak wrote:

Shocked

Exactly!!! That's why we haven't changed our manager.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Internazionale_Villa Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:48 pm

jak wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jak wrote:

Shocked

So you dont think your team has the quality to win any competitions?

For me your good enough to win something, to not win anything for 6 years is a failure and Wenger is the only person who can be held responsible.

Internazionale_Villa

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:21 pm

Internazionale_Villa wrote:
jak wrote:
Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:
jak wrote:

Shocked

So you dont think your team has the quality to win any competitions?

For me your good enough to win something, to not win anything for 6 years is a failure and Wenger is the only person who can be held responsible.

To qualify for the CL is a major prize in itself.
The team has clearly not been good enough to win a trophy because they haven't.
The truth is our squad has been a bit thin, for one reason and another.
Some of the players have not lived up to the faith that Wenger has put in them.
I believe the next few weeks will see some of our weaknesses addressed.
I have faith in Wenger to sort things.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I hope Wenger does sort.. Out if all the title runners would like Arsenal to win it.. Just a Shame you don't get the few players in that would've meant this six year drought nonsense wouldn't be talked about.
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum