JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another 14 years ???

+3
jpr60
villainies
FrenchSpur
7 posters

Go down

Another 14 years ??? Empty Another 14 years ???

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:05 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14998653.stm

What is he going to be like by then ?? He doesn't see much now

Laughing Laughing Laughing
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Another 14 years ??? Empty Re: Another 14 years ???

Post  villainies Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:45 am

FrenchSpur wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14998653.stm

What is he going to be like by then ?? He doesn't see much now

Laughing Laughing Laughing

He'll be lucky to get another 14 games the way he's going.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:00 pm

But just reflect on what's happened during Wenger's 14 years - the club has been turned around (in a positive way):
- we've got a new, very good stadium;
- we've got state-of-the-art training facilities;
- we've won the title, the FA Cup and The Double;
- we've gone a whole season unbeaten in the Premier League;
- we've come to within a half-hour of winning the CL (and that with only 10 men on the field of play);
- we're living within our means - the self-sustaining model.
Should Arsenal continue to have Wenger as manager for the next 14 years and he manages to bring as much success to the club across the board as he's done in his first 14 years I'll be more than satisfied.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:07 pm

jpr60 wrote:But just reflect on what's happened during Wenger's 14 years - the club has been turned around (in a positive way):
- we've come to within a half-hour of winning the CL (and that with only 10 men on the field of play);
Should Arsenal continue to have Wenger as manager for the next 14 years and he manages to bring as much success to the club across the board as he's done in his first 14 years I'll be more than satisfied.

Past glories... You are supposed to be looking forward to new ones...... like us spuds Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:32 pm

FrenchSpur wrote:
jpr60 wrote:But just reflect on what's happened during Wenger's 14 years - the club has been turned around (in a positive way):

Past glories... You are supposed to be looking forward to new ones...... like us spuds Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

I was simply reflecting on Wenger's 14 years as manager of The Arsenal - it compares very favourably with most others, don't you think? You do think, I suppose?! And yes, we are looking forward to continuation - only now in the winning of things.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:36 pm

jpr60 wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

I was simply reflecting on Wenger's 14 years as manager of The Arsenal - it compares very favourably with most others, don't you think? You do think, I suppose?! And yes, we are looking forward to continuation - only now in the winning of things.

I agree his first 14years have been pretty good.. The last six have been a bit off the boil though... and currently he seems at sixes and sevens

Problem is it is coming across at present as he has lost his way... That maybe the press doing that, it maybe the truth or somewhere in the middle.
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  Trig Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:13 pm

No it isnt the press frenchie,they have lost there way,they have lost the heart of there team,a good team usually are strong right up the middle,they have no one up the middle from there keeper to whoever they play up front there is nothing,maybe things will improve when Wiltshire returns but losing Fab was a massive blow to them,and that is were i think Wenger as been asleep Fab was going no doubt about that one so why didnt he look for a replacement,Arsenal will struggle this season i think,i dont think this is just a blip you know.

Trig

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:22 pm

Trig wrote:No it isnt the press frenchie,they have lost there way,they have lost the heart of there team,a good team usually are strong right up the middle,they have no one up the middle from there keeper to whoever they play up front there is nothing,maybe things will improve when Wiltshire returns but losing Fab was a massive blow to them,and that is were i think Wenger as been asleep Fab was going no doubt about that one so why didnt he look for a replacement,Arsenal will struggle this season i think,i dont think this is just a blip you know.

They seem to me to have lost all confidence. I dont know how you get it back but the general thing is that there usually needs to be a big change for it to return...
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:03 am

FrenchSpur wrote:
Trig wrote:No it isnt the press frenchie,they have lost there way,they have lost the heart of there team,a good team usually are strong right up the middle,they have no one up the middle from there keeper to whoever they play up front there is nothing,maybe things will improve when Wiltshire returns but losing Fab was a massive blow to them,and that is were i think Wenger as been asleep Fab was going no doubt about that one so why didnt he look for a replacement,Arsenal will struggle this season i think,i dont think this is just a blip you know.

They seem to me to have lost all confidence. I dont know how you get it back but the general thing is that there usually needs to be a big change for it to return...

Yes, you're right. In fact I've known it take FIFTY years in one case and still no sign of a return, despite many big changes. Very Happy

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Trig Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:56 am

I dont think its confidence,that is an excuse that a manager puts forward when he hasnt a clue what to do next,they put some BAD players on the field at Ewood not in attack no way,going forward they pass and move just like the Arse always have done,but they now lack a decent defrnsive midfeld player and the two centre backs are not Prem standard imo,i think the goals that they will get will keep them top 10 but i cant see them any higher than that to be honest.

Trig

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:46 am

jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

Yes, you're right. In fact I've known it take FIFTY years in one case and still no sign of a return, despite many big changes. Very Happy

So you only equate success as winning the league then do you ??? Personally I dont.
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:51 am

Oh! Look!! There's a Spud on my hook!! Very Happy

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Reddi! Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am

jak wrote:Oh! Look!! There's a Spud on my hook!! Very Happy

Buena pesca, Jak?
Reddi!
Reddi!

http://www.yma-associates.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:45 am

Is that the best you can do ???
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:56 am

FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

So you only equate success as winning the league then do you ??? Personally I dont.

Success is relative to individual clubs.ie 17th in the Prem for Wigan is more successful than 2nd for Man Utd
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:35 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

Success is relative to individual clubs.ie 17th in the Prem for Wigan is more successful than 2nd for Man Utd

Quite so QB. Being financially sound is a success in that you are able to sustain the club, being in the Premier League is a success (so The Arsenal are extremely successful, having been in the top league for so long and operating a profitable business-side to the club), winning a cup is a success in the relevant competition but in my book being the best is truly successful, hence being the Premier League champions is the measurement of true success, year by year.
For me Barcelona are the most successful side in Europe in that they are the best and have won the top European competition, albeit largely a "cup" competition.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:34 pm

FrenchSpur wrote:

Well, yes. I thought it was pretty good getting a bite that quick. Very Happy

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:15 pm

jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

Well seeing as the dig was aimed at spurs I guess you should have expected it.... anyway at least you are still in the also ran cup which must be comforting for you
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:04 pm

FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

Well seeing as the dig was aimed at spurs I guess you should have expected it.... anyway at least you are still in the also ran cup which must be comforting for you

No, not at all. The Carling Cup is just a fun competition and treated as such by most of the top clubs. It's a chance for supporters to see some of their clubs upcoming talent on show.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:18 pm

jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

No, not at all. The Carling Cup is just a fun competition and treated as such by most of the top clubs. It's a chance for supporters to see some of their clubs upcoming talent on show.

I seem to remember you lot being quite upset at not winning it last year....
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:19 pm

FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

Who, me? Never!!! Huh

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:50 am

FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

It wasn't that we were upset at not winning it, we were obviously disturbed by the fact that we handed the winning goal to the opposition. Since then we've been similarly generous in other games - that's something that obviously needs stamping out. Meanwhile the League Cup is no measure of success for a Premier League club IMO - as jak says, it's a competition where we get to see the new talent coming through the club - it's refreshing because it's about the future.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:47 pm

jpr60 wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:
jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:

It wasn't that we were upset at not winning it, we were obviously disturbed by the fact that we handed the winning goal to the opposition. Since then we've been similarly generous in other games - that's something that obviously needs stamping out. Meanwhile the League Cup is no measure of success for a Premier League club IMO - as jak says, it's a competition where we get to see the new talent coming through the club - it's refreshing because it's about the future.

For most clubs its the only chance of success. Only 9 clubs have won it in the last 20 years, 8 have won the FA cup in the same time. Being realistic for the foreseeable future they are Arsenals only chance of silverware too.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum