JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Season opener.

+2
MrMagoo
jpr60
6 posters

Go down

Season opener. Empty Season opener.

Post  jpr60 Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm

Let's just say that I was well pleased with our performance today. I'd predicted a win for us but no way did I expect a win of such magnitude.
Positive points :
Thomas Vermaelen certainly looks the business. Aggressive, in control and to cap it all he scores a great far-post header. That is easily the best centre-back performance I've seen from an Arsenal player since Tony Adams. The defence looked organised, consequently Almunia was always in control (until the death when they conceded a sloppy goal).
The midfield - I mean Fabregas, Denilson and Song looked to be a compact, efficient unit. Ramsey and (even) Eboue looked full of life when they came on later.
In attack Arshavin was everywhere, Bendtner and van Persie worked their balls off and later Eduardo comes on and knocks in a 'striker's goal' à la Ian Wright.
It couldn't be better - it never has been a better start to the season for us Gooners - long may it continue!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Season opener. Empty Re: Season opener.

Post  MrMagoo Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:30 pm

Great start for you guys alright. Thought it would have been a tight game.
MrMagoo
MrMagoo
Da Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:42 pm

Thing is, we were scoring the kind of goals we usually concede - I mean, two headers from dead-ball situations, incredible !
It's early days of course but it does give hope - hope that we can finally finish off chances that we create, plus defend properly. I think the new lad, Vermaelen lost out only once today in a challenge and in doing so he'd put enough on the opposing player to prevent any serious repurcussions - I trust this is a reflection of what he will bring to the team on a consistent basis - OK, I don't mind him scoring the odd goal too !

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:18 am

A great start to the season.
Nice to see us playing at a quicker tempo again.
The spirit looks good too.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:17 am

Good win for you lot yesterday.. impressive BUT i would see how you lot do in the next few games.. Everton were woefull last night.. the Fabregas goal was soemthing that gets scroed in the local park.. as in not the finish but the defending and the tracking back of the opponents!
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:38 am

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:Good win for you lot yesterday.. impressive BUT i would see how you lot do in the next few games.. Everton were woefull last night.. the Fabregas goal was soemthing that gets scroed in the local park.. as in not the finish but the defending and the tracking back of the opponents!

adiran that was was to bad for a park, you can never run with the ball for more then 2 meters in the park without someone clattering you.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 am

I think there is only one thing to say about that performance...

Watch out Celtic
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:26 pm

FrenchSpur wrote:I think there is only one thing to say about that performance...

Watch out Celtic

I hope you're right Frenchie my son, I truly do!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:49 pm

Another solid all-round display although we do seem to be missing something at the pointy end. I reckon there's work to be done on getting the striker formation going but the potential is certainly there.
Vermaelen continues to look good and his partnership with Gallas makes our ex-captain look a better player too.
We were fortunate with both goals but at least the ball went in off an Arsenal player for the first one (even if he was trying to get out of the way) - I mean, it wasn't a Fat-Frank special where the ball pings in off one or two defenders. Second goal was an excellent move and if their man hadn't stuck out a foot I reckon Bendtner would have buried the chance anyway.
2-0 at 'half-time' then - I wouldn't think we'll let the second leg go now.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:52 pm

Very convincing i would say, as is Chelsea, for me the grip on the top 4 will depend on Man City, the next few games for Man City will show if they are serious contenders IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum