JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Worth a read.

+2
jpr60
jak
6 posters

Go down

Worth a read. Empty Worth a read.

Post  jak Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:59 pm

Never a dull moment
By Corey Kenny

The 2011/12 season is one to remember

7 years. 84 months. 364 weeks. 2555 days. These are the damning statistics that compel Arsenal's recent seasons, these last 7 years have been a rollercoaster, but not a typical rollercoaster. Imagine you are on that rollercoaster.

Koscielny – Great campaign
Now picture the trophies are the ups and the constant failures in competitions as the downs, there have been no huge ups for Arsenal since the Invincibles all abandoned the driving force of England at the time and have left them as a 4th placed team and on a par with Spurs. Doesn't sound like a very fun rollercoaster, does it?

I didn't even mention that those statistics were the cold stats of how long it’s been since a trophy has arrived in the red part of North London. Did I need to? It’s been so well documented that Arsene Wenger has failed to deliver what is expected of Arsenal F.C, that the legend that is Arsene Wenger’s job was under fire and still possibly is.

However, I wouldn't have swapped this season for a Carling Cup, like Liverpool have. Liverpool have swapped their dignity and reputation in the Premier League for a Carling Cup. This season has been one that I will never forget, not for the trophies but, for the sheer passion and fight Arsenal have shown throughout, the highs and the lows have been as equally bizarre as each other.

Let's get the bad news out of the way first, the 8-2 drubbing against Man Utd, our beloved captain going 'home' and the French word for greed - 'Nasri' - leaving along with Gael Clichy to join the oil-rich Man City. As if losing our two star midfielders wasn't bad enough, the rising star that is Jack Wilshere has missed the season due to a constant niggling injury that could very well cost him a place at Euro 2012. Being dumped out of a very winnable F.A Cup, albeit by a rejuvenated Sunderland side.

As I said before there has been lows but I think the highs are memories that will stay in every Gooner's mind for a long time.

There are 3 results that I believe really illustrate the fight and desire of this current Arsenal team. They aren't the most talented but they do have passion. In chronological order; the 5-3 win at Stamford Bridge, the 2-1 comeback against Liverpool and of course the 2-0 down, 5-2 up against Spurs and to add to these the consecutive run of games where Arsenal came back from behind to set a new Premier League record.

The one that really sticks out in my mind is the 2-1 win over Sunderland where the statue came to life to add the 229th Arsenal goal of his illustrious career.

There are also many individuals that have really emerged and become real players of class. First of all Laurent Koscielny has had a fantastic season in a constantly changing defence, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain has gone from a League One player to one of the finest young talents around and could have a ticket to Poland-Ukraine if he gets enough games from now til the end of the season. Tomas Rosicky has gone from one of the 'summer clear outs' to one of the first names on the teamsheet. Alex Song has discovered a real creative side to his game and should no longer be described as a shield to the back four but now deserves the title of playmaker.

This man however, deserves his own little paragraph. Marouane Chamakh has really… I'm joking. Robin Van Persie, the man of the moment, the catalyst to this Arsenal team, the captain. If he doesn't win player of the season I don't think I could have faith in football again, his displays have been nothing less than majestic.

So yes, this season is another season with no trophy but this season will never be forgotten and in 20 years time I will still be talking about it purely because it’s been the most fascinating one I can remember for a long time.

jak

Back to top Go down

Worth a read. Empty Re: Worth a read.

Post  jpr60 Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:21 pm

Telling it like it is, as my American cousins would say!
I couldn't agree more with the Liverpool-Carling Cup sell-out (I still find it hard to believe that a Birmingham City fan could be happy with winning that pot whilst being relegated from the Premier League) and his assessment of players such as Koscielny. People can say what they like about "Le Boss" but he more-often-than-not knows a good player when he sees one.
Overall then I'd agree but what would put the icing on the cake would be for The Arsenal to (finally) come good next season and win something of value, then we could say that this season was truly The Beginning!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:33 pm

He doesn't really tell the whole story there does he? It would be just as easy to write about a season that was all over by November. A season where Arsenal are miles behind the top two who themselves are weak by recent premiership standards as are Chelsea. I would also be very wary about criticising Liverpool whilst they can still do the cup double. That would be an achievement, third in the premiership is all about the money and nowt else to shout about.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:11 pm

villainies wrote:He doesn't really tell the whole story there does he? It would be just as easy to write about a season that was all over by November. A season where Arsenal are miles behind the top two who themselves are weak by recent premiership standards as are Chelsea. I would also be very wary about criticising Liverpool whilst they can still do the cup double. That would be an achievement, third in the premiership is all about the money and nowt else to shout about.

Third in the PL would be a lot to shout about when your season had been blighted by injury and after the adjustments necessary following the loss of a truly world class player.
I guess you'd be ecstatic if your team had the possibility of finishing top 3.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Different standards though Jak and you know it. Also JPR, I can understand how Blues fans felt, they had never seen their team win anything in their lifetimes and they have followed their club through little thick and loads of thin. I happen to think Arsenal can be a force next season if they get two or three top class players. Heard yesterday that song has something like 14 assists this season, that is excellent and he has improved beyond recognition.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:19 am

Done really well to turn season around but a trophy is needed very soon.
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:15 pm

villainies wrote:He doesn't really tell the whole story there does he? It would be just as easy to write about a season that was all over by November. A season where Arsenal are miles behind the top two who themselves are weak by recent premiership standards as are Chelsea. I would also be very wary about criticising Liverpool whilst they can still do the cup double. That would be an achievement, third in the premiership is all about the money and nowt else to shout about.

That's the whole point though isn't it? We were finished by November - many were saying Wenger had passed his sell-by date and that we were going nowhere, fast. What may well happen is that we finish third, higher than last year despite having lost our king-pin player.
Yes, we lost badly to ManU, but then again we were missing eight first-team players on the day and I'm prepared to accept that ManU are the better team this time around. ManC? Well, despite having signed some of the best players to be found they're struggling to maintain form, despite a fantastic frst half of the season. We lost at their place 1-0 and probably deserved better, we beat them 1-0 at our place and certainly deserved better. So "miles behind the top two" is an exaggeration IMO.
Me, I'm looking forward, expectantly to next season. We'll bring in some players for sure but we won't be spending the £500-plus million that ManC have spent and I'm pretty confident we will be at least toe-to-toe with them next time around.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:48 am

What does Corey have to say about defeats to QPR and Wigan I wonder? Still a bit soft? Lack cutting edge perhaps?
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:48 am

jpr60 wrote:Telling it like it is, as my American cousins would say!
I couldn't agree more with the Liverpool-Carling Cup sell-out (I still find it hard to believe that a Birmingham City fan could be happy with winning that pot whilst being relegated from the Premier League) and his assessment of players such as Koscielny. People can say what they like about "Le Boss" but he more-often-than-not knows a good player when he sees one.
Overall then I'd agree but what would put the icing on the cake would be for The Arsenal to (finally) come good next season and win something of value, then we could say that this season was truly The Beginning!

If Arsenal go another 40+ years without winning a cup and spend much of that time bouncing between the lower divisions and the Premiership, then maybe you'll have a better idea.

You're still bitter that you got done by Blues at Wembley on 27th February 2011.

Arsenal tried their best to win that cup - they would have LOVED to win that cup. As per usual in recent years though, Arsenal just weren't good enough.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Tilton wrote:
jpr60 wrote:Telling it like it is, as my American cousins would say!

If Arsenal go another 40+ years without winning a cup and spend much of that time bouncing between the lower divisions and the Premiership, then maybe you'll have a better idea.

You're still bitter that you got done by Blues at Wembley on 27th February 2011.

Arsenal tried their best to win that cup - they would have LOVED to win that cup. As per usual in recent years though, Arsenal just weren't good enough.

If it keeps you happy Tilts Sleep

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:09 pm

It sure does. The truth is very satisfying.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Tilton wrote:It sure does. The truth is very satisfying.

"Truth" like "Beauty" is in the eye of the beholder. One sees and reflects, one acknowledges and makes a judgement - my "truth" is certainly not your "truth" Tilts (and I'm glad).

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:34 am

My truth is fact.

Arsenal tried their best to win the cup - FACT
Arsenal would have loved to have won - FACT
Arsenal weren't good enough to win - FACT
You're still bitter but won't admit it - FACT

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:52 am

Sleep Sleep Sleep

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:38 pm

RvP goals have dried up and Arse lose two and draw at home to Chelsea b team. Suspect
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:54 pm

villainies wrote:RvP goals have dried up and Arse lose two and draw at home to Chelsea b team. Suspect

I'm happy with today's result. Very Happy

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:23 pm

The performance wasn't that good (when are we gonna stop hitting the post/crossbar?) - nor was the match itself but a point was acceptable (although three would have been better) and keeps our situation and third place in our hands. Three wins, against Stoke, Norwich and WBA now, please!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum