JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup

4 posters

Go down

World Cup Empty World Cup

Post  villainies Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:41 pm

Who reckons they will live to see England lift the WC again?

Right now I think we are as far away from it as we have been in my lifetime and its only going to get harder.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

World Cup Empty Re: World Cup

Post  jak Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:55 pm

I agree, we're at a real low. To me the biggest problem is our lack of movement off the ball, we are so static. Add to this our inability to string more than a couple of passes together. We are miles behind the continental sides and I see the Germans stepping into Spain's shoes in the coming years.
So no, I can't see myself being around to see England lift the cup again, even if I live to be a hundred (no that's not in 10 years time, Luton, you tosser Very Happy  ).
I think the English game needs a change from the grass roots, where coaching is abysmal and has been for years.
We need to forget teaching kids the zonal game and let them do the majority of their early training with the football, as they do abroad.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:24 pm

Having enjoyed 1966 - although I must admit that I didn't expect us to win then either, I think everyone fancied Brazil and/or Portugal (we're talking Pele and Eusebio here, players far and away better at the time than anyone else and, TBH better players for their respective countries then than anyone playing today) - I'd have to agree it doesn't look too likely.
England had a team-work ethic going in 1966 - the players really did work their arse off for their team-mates - we don't have that today. Having said that the likes of Rooney and Wilshere do have the attributes to inspire and if some half-way decent players can be made to work for each other who knows?
Alf Ramsey obviously managed to get the attitude right in '66 and I reckon Roy Hodgson is the type of down-to-earth bloke who could do likewise today - but it's a massive task. As jak says, in terms of technique we're way behind our continental cousins (but, then again, we were in '66) so, if we are to win again in my lifetime (not long to go, eh?) it'll be down to team-work - hard-work - and spirit. It's not impossible.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:49 pm

A few years ago we never thought we would see a men's Wimbledon champion in our life time so there is hope..

But there are lots of issues inc the fact none of our players experience football abroad simply because bang average players like Reo Coker and Sidwell get 30k plus in UK which they couldn't dream of getting abroad so have no desire to move abroad..
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down