JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

De Jong

+5
Bully 9
QBVILLA
jpr60
villanfromluton
Bedshammer
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

De Jong Empty De Jong

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:50 pm

I see that Newcastle want the FA to take action against him

This is a very slippery slope - I saw the tackle and YES the consequence of it was awful

BUT

Later the same day I watched Chelsea - Arsenal and saw Malouda and Essien make awful challenges (if you saw the game - you will know what mean) however the outcome was not so bad

If De Jong gets charged (and yes I know he has previous) he will be getting judged on the consequence of the tackle - the challenges by Malouda and Essien were equally as bad and clearly intentional - they just got lucky in that they never caused serious injury

Back to top Go down

De Jong Empty Re: De Jong

Post  Bedshammer Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:58 pm

Did you see Henry's tackle in the Wolves v Wigan game? affraid
And e had the cheek to argue the red card.
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Haven't seen that but I did read Mick McCarthy saying there was no argument

I really like MM - decent honest bloke

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:14 pm

He's come out and apologised now.
The FA should have a look at some tackles, like the Henry one, the de Jong one, and Essien's against Arsenal was a disgrace, and place an extended ban if they feel it was particularly malicious but I fear going down that route would make players too scared to slide in on a player.

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:18 pm

Plus it is very difficult to prove intent
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:35 pm

I am amazed that the Arsenal player (can't remember who it was) survived the challenge by Essien he must have ankles made of rubber

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Lionheart wrote:Haven't seen that but I did read Mick McCarthy saying there was no argument

I really like MM - decent honest bloke

Me too. And he looks like one of the Muppets.
But I still hope we stuff them on the 16th........
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Lionheart wrote:I am amazed that the Arsenal player (can't remember who it was) survived the challenge by Essien he must have ankles made of rubber

It was Diaby and he hasn't got rubber ankles, he was taken out by a Sunderland substitute towards the end of a match a couple of years back, the same ankle was broken and he was out of the game. This time he was 'lucky'.
I believe that something should be done to stop these types of assaults. They are not tackles, the likes of Malouda, Essien, De Jong, Shawcross etc know exactly what they're getting into when they dive in - the target is the player, not the ball. We've had 'hard men' in the game since time began - in the '60's and '70's every team had a hatchet-man but how many serious injuries were they responsible for? Not many is the answer. Yes, they went in hard, took the player out and risked the odd booking, occasional sending-off but in the main they went in with power, not over the ball. It used to put fear up many of the skillful players of the day but they weren't carried off on stretchers and out of the game for six months and more, which is what the likes of the above-mentioned are looking to do to their victims. Time to stamp out the dirty cheats is my opinion. The alternative is 'play to kill' and I don't really want to see football go down that route.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:09 pm

Lionheart wrote:I am amazed that the Arsenal player (can't remember who it was) survived the challenge by Essien he must have ankles made of rubber

Diaby, when i saw the replay i thought that was his ankle broken.I didn't see the second half so i'm guessing that was when Malouda made his 'challenge'.can't comment on that one
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:12 pm

jpr60 wrote:

It was Diaby and he hasn't got rubber ankles, he was taken out by a Sunderland substitute towards the end of a match a couple of years back, the same ankle was broken and he was out of the game. This time he was 'lucky'.
I believe that something should be done to stop these types of assaults. They are not tackles, the likes of Malouda, Essien, De Jong, Shawcross etc know exactly what they're getting into when they dive in - the target is the player, not the ball. We've had 'hard men' in the game since time began - in the '60's and '70's every team had a hatchet-man but how many serious injuries were they responsible for? Not many is the answer. Yes, they went in hard, took the player out and risked the odd booking, occasional sending-off but in the main they went in with power, not over the ball. It used to put fear up many of the skillful players of the day but they weren't carried off on stretchers and out of the game for six months and more, which is what the likes of the above-mentioned are looking to do to their victims. Time to stamp out the dirty cheats is my opinion. The alternative is 'play to kill' and I don't really want to see football go down that route.

There's a fine line though between dirty cheat and mistimed.one of the worst tackles so far this season i've seen was made by jack wilshere a few weeks back when he'd just come on as sub.Can't recall the game but that could've been construed as a reckless challenge.IMO Wilshere was clumsy rather than dirty, think the ref booked him.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:15 pm

Thats what I mean QB, how can you honestly be sure that it was reckless rather than mistimed. Very grey area
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:19 pm

QBVILLA wrote:

Diaby, when i saw the replay i thought that was his ankle broken.I didn't see the second half so i'm guessing that was when Malouda made his 'challenge'.can't comment on that one

Too pist no doubt Mad Mad
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Bully 9 Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Bedshammer wrote:Did you see Henry's tackle in the Wolves v Wigan game? affraid
And e had the cheek to argue the red card.
I winced watching that! MM usually uses the word ROBUST when describing Henrys tackles but not this time!! No argument, mind you cant believe he survived the game few wks back with Newcastle when he chopped down Joey barton about 10 times!!!
Bully 9
Bully 9

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm

A late tackle can be just that, late. But whether it's late or not, if it's studs up, over the ball (assuming there is a ball around somewhere) and into someone's leg it's dirty IMO. Now, if the ref doesn't see it that's one thing, but if the whole world can see it on the replay, in slow motion, whatever then someone in authority should be doing something about it.
I love football and I hate to see truly dirty play. A touch of 'hard' is OK (I used to enjoy the Dave Mackays, Tommy Smiths, Peter Storeys even Norman Hunter - they were doing a job of work and could frighten the life out of anybody, but they didn't cripple opposing players) but going in with malice aforethought is totally unacceptable in my book. If we allow it to continue there will be reactions - if I was on the receiving end I'd get my revenge next match!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:26 pm

villanfromluton wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:

Too pist no doubt Mad Mad

Unfortunately not Crying or Very sad i didn't go out until nearly 8.30 as the Mrs was ill.Still managed to throw 6 pints down my Gregory before closing time though Cheerleader
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  Finn Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:34 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

There's a fine line though between dirty cheat and mistimed.one of the worst tackles so far this season i've seen was made by jack wilshere a few weeks back when he'd just come on as sub.Can't recall the game but that could've been construed as a reckless challenge.IMO Wilshere was clumsy rather than dirty, think the ref booked him.

Bet Wenger didnt see it though Rolling Eyes
Finn
Finn

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:46 pm

Finn wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:
jpr60 wrote:

Bet Wenger didnt see it though Rolling Eyes

Doubt he did.Gotta say fair play to Mick McCarthy.In a week when he saw Sidwell break his player's leg with a terrible challenge and then Henry get red carded for his Jackie Chan against Gomez,McCarthy showed a lot of class.Refused to condemn Sidwell then didn't skirt around the red card incident.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:31 pm

jpr60 wrote:A late tackle can be just that, late. But whether it's late or not, if it's studs up, over the ball (assuming there is a ball around somewhere) and into someone's leg it's dirty IMO. Now, if the ref doesn't see it that's one thing, but if the whole world can see it on the replay, in slow motion, whatever then someone in authority should be doing something about it.
I love football and I hate to see truly dirty play. A touch of 'hard' is OK (I used to enjoy the Dave Mackays, Tommy Smiths, Peter Storeys even Norman Hunter - they were doing a job of work and could frighten the life out of anybody, but they didn't cripple opposing players) but going in with malice aforethought is totally unacceptable in my book. If we allow it to continue there will be reactions - if I was on the receiving end I'd get my revenge next match!

I absolutely agree with you, jpr. I have watched football for many years and could add many names to those you mention.
Another thing to remember is that, in the main, those players played on shit pitches not like todays carpets.
There is a trend in the game now, from some players, to tackle with the leading foot high and also to intenionally carry through with their trailing leg. In my opinion the situation is getting worse and there is now a case for reviewing these tackles after the game.
As a football lover I want to see this violence ruled out of the game. I also think the standard of refereeing has fallen to the lowest standard in my memory. So I have no confidence in their ability to be consistent in their judgement. So the sensible way is to take steps that make players aware that violent tackles will be looked at after the game and fitting punishment meted out.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:37 pm

Jak, was listening to talksport yesterday and they had Stewart Robson on.IMO he's an excellent pundit.He reckons that the quality of the pitches has a lot to do with the severity of the injuries we get nowadays.He said because there is no give in the pitch a player who has his standing foot planted is almost certain to suffer a break.
IMO football is nowhere near as dirty nowadays as it was even 15 years ago.Adams,Bould,Hurlock,Ruddock,Jones,McMahon,Van Der Hauwe,Keane,Fashanu were all dirty players to name just a few.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:44 pm

QBVILLA wrote:Jak, was listening to talksport yesterday and they had Stewart Robson on.IMO he's an excellent pundit.He reckons that the quality of the pitches has a lot to do with the severity of the injuries we get nowadays.He said because there is no give in the pitch a player who has his standing foot planted is almost certain to suffer a break.
IMO football is nowhere near as dirty nowadays as it was even 15 years ago.Adams,Bould,Hurlock,Ruddock,Jones,McMahon,Van Der Hauwe,Keane,Fashanu were all dirty players to name just a few.

Well, as jpr says, theres a difference between dirty and hard.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 pm

jak wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:Jak, was listening to talksport yesterday and they had Stewart Robson on.IMO he's an excellent pundit.He reckons that the quality of the pitches has a lot to do with the severity of the injuries we get nowadays.He said because there is no give in the pitch a player who has his standing foot planted is almost certain to suffer a break.

Well, as jpr says, theres a difference between dirty and hard.

Wash it don't just stroke it then.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:56 pm

Back in the '60's & '70's it was hard, sometimes dirty (e.g. Leeds), the players you list there were hard, sometimes dirty (e.g John Fashanu's destruction of whatsisnames - Spurs captain at the time - face or Keane with the hump) but you rarely got the types of clear mayhem that seem to be occuring these days. It's not just the pitches, certain players are going over-the-top - it's always been frowned on as a way to seriously hurt opponents and I believe now is the time to put a stop to it. I agree it was hard in the old days but today I reckon certain individuals are getting away with being dirty, criminally dangerous.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:20 pm

jpr60 wrote:

Back in the '60's & '70's it was hard, sometimes dirty (e.g. Leeds), the players you list there were hard, sometimes dirty (e.g John Fashanu's destruction of whatsisnames - Spurs captain at the time - face or Keane with the hump) but you rarely got the types of clear mayhem that seem to be occuring these days. It's not just the pitches, certain players are going over-the-top - it's always been frowned on as a way to seriously hurt opponents and I believe now is the time to put a stop to it. I agree it was hard in the old days but today I reckon certain individuals are getting away with being dirty, criminally dangerous.

You're right, jpr. I, like you, want to see this violence stopped, whoever is doing it !!!!

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:23 pm

I was listening to Alan Brazil on talksport this morning and he was saying the players today are nowhere near as dirty as the ones of his era.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 pm

villanfromluton wrote:I was listening to Alan Brazil on talksport this morning and he was saying the players today are nowhere near as dirty as the ones of his era.

They're just much more sly. Suspect

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum