JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Will a European league ever happen??

+2
jpr60
MrMagoo
6 posters

Go down

Will a European league ever happen?? Empty Will a European league ever happen??

Post  MrMagoo Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:41 am

MrMagoo
MrMagoo
Da Boss

Back to top Go down

Will a European league ever happen?? Empty Re: Will a European league ever happen??

Post  jpr60 Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:52 am

Probably. If you see how things have developed over the years, we've gone from not being much interested in European football to needing it to finance all the excesses of the modern game at the top level. Not sure how it would function but, anyway it's probably not gonna happen any time soon - maybe not in my lifetime so I'm just happy to concentrate on what we have today.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Will a European league ever happen?? Empty Re: Will a European league ever happen??

Post  MrMagoo Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:53 am

Its interesting that Wenger mentions that the clubs now rely too much on the Champions League money and that soon the revenue from that won't be enough.
MrMagoo
MrMagoo
Da Boss

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:10 am

Let's face it, it won't affect most of us, and would make the top of the league more interesting.
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:28 am

Don't think it would happen tbh.

And if it did there are more fans combined going to 16 of the premierleague teams then there is going to the big 4, so the league would probably be more competative then ever, and I would imagine the top four would get bored after a couple of years of no domestic league fixtures. They would want to re-join and I'd tell them to start at the bottom, as I doubt they would allow a promotion and relegation format intot he super league.

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:25 am

If you read what he is saying about the domestic league continuing and promotion/demotion from the super league a must then I think this will be happening at some point in the future. The big clubs will want to be far more in control of the revenues they can generate through a league like this.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:51 am

How on earth could you do a promotion and relegation though.

The lowest placed italian team is replaced by the domestic italian champions, the same for the english clubs? That could mean Arsenal finishing 4th in the superleague behind the other english clubs and being replaced by Man city.

if you dont do it that way, do you take the bottom teams in the league and replace them with WHICH winners of the many domestic leagues?

And if you work out a system like that you could possibly turn the superleague into the english premiership as it is now.

Impossible

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:12 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:How on earth could you do a promotion and relegation though.

The lowest placed italian team is replaced by the domestic italian champions, the same for the english clubs? That could mean Arsenal finishing 4th in the superleague behind the other english clubs and being replaced by Man city.

if you dont do it that way, do you take the bottom teams in the league and replace them with WHICH winners of the many domestic leagues?

And if you work out a system like that you could possibly turn the superleague into the english premiership as it is now.

Impossible

This is the biggest stumbling block and would be difficult to agree amongst the big clubs because as you say a team could do well and still get demoted. I would think only England Spain France Italy Germany Holland possibly would be involved and to be promoted you would have to finish above the bottom placed from the Euro league in the domestic league. Perhaps also if you finish in the bottom 3 of the Euro League you automatically get booted out and replaced regardless of whats happened in the domestic league. This could mean Arsenal finishing third from bottom in the Euro League and winning the premiership but still getting booted out and Villa replacing them as the 5th placed team in the premiership. cheers
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:47 pm

I think its going to happen sooner rather than later... I dont know how they will do the promotion bit.. maybe it will be the top four from the PL going in to it each season... who knows.

Maybe they will try and do a closed league similar to the american leagues.

There is also the possibility that it wont be the teams you think it would be. This G20 thing is still around and there are teams in that who havent performed for a long time.

but I do think Wenger is right
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:50 pm

I think it should only be teams that have won the european cup. king

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:54 pm

Avfc_4eva_Sotc wrote:I think it should only be teams that have won the european cup. king

Well you would.... but they actually want good teams to play in it... Laughing
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Difficult to argue with the money issue. How long?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19924802
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Avfc_4eva_Sotc Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:13 pm

Well he is wrong, Aston Villa revenue is £100m so...

Avfc_4eva_Sotc
a.k.a SCOTT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down