JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

World Cup

3 posters

Go down

World Cup Empty World Cup

Post  jpr60 Wed May 21, 2014 4:52 pm

Summer football is shortly to be upon us - do we care and, if so who do we care about? The World Cup used to be a bit special for me - thinking the amazing Brazilians (cos they were different in those days) and actually being able to see players from different countries (nowadays most of 'em play, or have played in England). Still, it's the World Cup and it's in Brazil so that's gotta be a bit special, eh?
So, who's gonna win? Brazil? A European nation? I fancy Chile as an outsider - I reckon a South American team will win in Brazil - it seems logical, conditions, climate etc. What will be considered as "OK" for England? To get through the initial stages? To not be beaten (by Germany) on penalties?
Whaddayer think?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

World Cup Empty Re: World Cup

Post  jak Wed May 21, 2014 9:13 pm

As you say we see players we're seeing week in week out. The international scene is an inconvenience to many supporters who are pissed off with mid-season interlulls. They break up the domestic season, make teams lose momentum and send players back injured after games against the likes of San Marino, who should be in pre-qualifying groups made up of no hopers.
I'll take an interest in the England games and the latter stages of the competition.
I fancy that the Germans have a very good chance even in South America.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:41 pm

Chile certainly haven't let me down thus far - a lively team, and that's the thing, they really do seem to be a team. Not saying they'll win the trophy of course but methinks they'll continue to do well until they come across the Big Boys, you know, Spain, Brazil err, oh, alright then, Engerland! cheers

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Jun 19, 2014 6:57 pm

Chile just worked SO hard, amazing they kept up pressing so hard for the whole game.
They must be a nightmare to play against, they never gave Spain a second on the ball.
They will make any side battle but I think they will be undone by a pacey side.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:37 am

Stop Press! England might not win the World Cup!
Am I the only one who thought that Joe Hart went down a touch too early for Suarez's second goal? The angle was so tight, if Hart had stayed up I'm sure the ball would've hit him in the chest - still, what do I know? The pundits certainly didn't mention it and they're the experts, eh?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Fri Jun 20, 2014 4:16 pm

Yep, you're the only one who thought that.

Please leave the analysis of goalkeeping techniques to the experts in future.

Thanks.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:33 pm

jpr60 wrote:Stop Press! England might not win the World Cup!
Am I the only one who thought that Joe Hart went down a touch too early for Suarez's second goal? The angle was so tight, if Hart had stayed up I'm sure the ball would've hit him in the chest - still, what do I know? The pundits certainly didn't mention it and they're the experts, eh?

I agree, Joe Hart did not stand his ground, if he did Suarez could not have scored. Reminded me of David Seaman who managed to shrink himself to 3' tall when Giggs did him on the near post. Hart is, like Seaman, overrated.
Finally we MUST see the back of Gerrard. That's gotta be a plus.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:45 am

jak wrote:
jpr60 wrote:Stop Press! England might not win the World Cup!

I agree, Joe Hart did not stand his ground, if he did Suarez could not have scored. Reminded me of David Seaman who managed to shrink himself to 3' tall when Giggs did him on the near post. Hart is, like Seaman, overrated.
Finally we MUST see the back of Gerrard. That's gotta be a plus.

Sorry, but that's a load of shite right there. That's what that is. So Suarez could not have scored if Hart had simply stood still? The best striker in the world would have been foiled by a statuesque goalkeeper?

Don't get me wrong, Joe Hart isn't a brilliant 'keeper in my opinion either, and he does make a lot of mistakes. But to blame him for that goal is ridiculous.

I agree about Gerrard though. He's way, way past his best and was looking like being a liability even before the Uruguay game. I've read that he's 'considering his future' as an international player. Good. But the decision should not be his anyway. A quiet "Thanks Stevie but it's time to feck off now" would suffice.

The main problem is though, for as long as the likes of Jordan Henderson and Danny Wellbeck are deemed the best that we have as a nation, we're fecked anyway.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:04 pm

I don't believe Suarez would have scored his second goal if Hart had not moved to his right.
That's not to say that I blame Hart, Suarez smashed his shot, it's just a shame that Hart did not stand up for a fraction of a second longer. The shot would undoubtedly have hit him.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:26 am

Exactly my point.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:14 pm

The thing is, jpr, maturity allows one to deal with facts, not fantasy.
And mature we certainly are. Wink 

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Aye lad, like a good cheddar cheers 

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:41 pm

jak wrote:I don't believe Suarez would have scored his second goal if Hart had not moved to his right.
That's not to say that I blame Hart, Suarez smashed his shot, it's just a shame that Hart did not stand up for a fraction of a second longer. The shot would undoubtedly have hit him.

Hart moved to his left to cover a shot at the near post. The angle that Suarez was running in on goal at wasn't that acute, and shots to either the near post and far post were both on. Hart gambled and lost. As soon as Suarez was clear on goal he was odds-on to score.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:14 am

Tilton wrote:
jak wrote:I don't believe Suarez would have scored his second goal if Hart had not moved to his right.

Hart moved to his left to cover a shot at the near post. The angle that Suarez was running in on goal at wasn't that acute, and shots to either the near post and far post were both on. Hart gambled and lost. As soon as Suarez was clear on goal he was odds-on to score.

So we have 'Bet in Play' to blame.  Very Happy 

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:22 pm

No, you have Stevie G to blame.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:26 pm

But I've been blaming him for so many years.
I thought I'd have a change.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down