JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clichy out for several weeks

3 posters

Go down

Clichy out for several weeks Empty Clichy out for several weeks

Post  MrMagoo Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:50 pm

MrMagoo
MrMagoo
Da Boss

Back to top Go down

Clichy out for several weeks Empty Re: Clichy out for several weeks

Post  jpr60 Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:34 pm

MrMagoo wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/arsenal/8340393.stm

How big a blow is this to Arsenal?

Well, we've got England's next left-back - Kieran Gibbs - waiting to spring into action so, whilst I like Clichy a lot his replacement is going to do no harm whatsoever.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Gibbs is more than capable and we also have Traore too. So we are well covered in Clichy's absence.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:17 pm

jak wrote:Gibbs is more than capable and we also have Traore too. So we are well covered in Clichy's absence.

We've had some tasty left-backs over the years - Bill McCullough, Peter Storey started off there, if I remember well, Bob McNab, Sammy Nelson, Kenny Samson, Nigel Winterburn, Sylvinho (for 10 minutes 'til we found out he had an iffy passport, which let in..) Ashley Cole (who was great until he became a star) and now Clichy, Gibbs, Traore - they've all been good'uns!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:44 pm

I remember Billy McCullough, literally, picking up Stanley Matthews as he went past him for the umpteenth time. I think Stanley was about 47 at the time and he made Billy look a mug.
Yes we've had some great left backs. I really liked Winterburn because when he came to us he got stuck in, in every match and became Arsenal through and through. A fantastic full back who gave his all and did not get the international credit he deserved. In any other country that back four would have been the automatic choice for the national side. What more could you want at internaional level than to be able to select a terrific back line that played together week in week out. Not in England though. Crazy.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down