JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is he losing the plot?

+7
roadoftrinity
QBVILLA
villainies
jpr60
FrenchSpur
jak
villanfromluton
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Is he losing the plot? - Page 2 Empty Re: Is he losing the plot?

Post  jak Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:57 pm

jpr60 wrote:
Donk84 wrote:As A GOONER of 18 years may i just say this......the question is clearly BUNK ! 'Has he lost the plot? ' would suggest that he had a clue to begin with!!!!!!!!!!! All of his major trophies were won when he inherited....David Seaman,Lee Dixon,Martin Keown,Tony Adams,Nigel Winterburn, Ray Parlour,Dennis Bergkamp and Ian Wright !!!!!A fucking blind ,deaf,dumb, referee alien could win trophies with those players adding one or two....just GRRRRR nuff said

Mmmmmm. You won't have been a Happy Gooner in 2003-2004 when The Arsenal completed the season unbeaten in the Premier League then?
Loath as I am to argue with a fellow Gooner (I've been a Gooner for over 50 years) I would recommend trying to keep the frustrations from clouding your vision with regard to Arsene Wenger. I'll grant that he has certain obstinate characteristics that can annoy but he deserves respect, from all of us for what he has done for Arsenal FC and, indeed what he is continuing to do. Blind, deaf, dumb, alien I don't know but I do know we could have a far, far worse manager at the club than he - we have had in the past - I'll settle for Wenger getting us back to winning ways in the near future.

I saw my first game at Highbury in 1954. I watched crap football for many years, even when we were winning I left Highbury on many occasions wanting to bang my head on the wall in frustration. 1-0 to the Arsenal may have been great for many supporters but I was looking for something more entertaining, more satisfying.
Tony Adams, winning the ball and smash it down the right hand channel, over and over again. Giveitawaty Ray, running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Two of the players Donks mentions.
Then came Wenger, we started to pass the ball to each other, Adams started playing football out of defence, giveitaway Ray stopped giving it away. We stopped crashing it over midfield. We became entertaining and started winning in style. It was sublime. THEN, 49, FORTY NINE matches undefeated. INCREDIBLE !!!!!
We played some of the best football I and many others have ever seen. Supporters, non-supporters, pundits, biased pundits, were all swooning. We became the team everyone wanted to watch.
And if we'd have had Schmeichel instead of Seaman we'd have been dominant for a whole decade but that's another point.
Wenger has been fantastic for The Arsenal. Yes, I do feel his attitude is petulant on occasions and his behaviour less than courteous, sometimes demeaning and that's a shame. I also think that his substitution of Oxlade-Chamberlain on Sunday was ridiculous and the reasons given, utter bollocks. I also think he has a blind loyalty to some players who are patently not good enough to wear the shirt.
Wenger has been fantastic for The Arsenal, it's undeniable, his record makes that a fact. I'm glad he passed our way and many other clubs must wish he'd passed theirs.
Of late, however, I'm seeing a team that has too many non-triers. There seems to be a lack of discipline.
You can't, for instance, see Ferguson tolerating a player like Arshavin for so long, or Rosicky, another who's prepared to let the opposition pass him by far too easily. Or Djourou, whose plainly not up to it in any position. Walcott is too in and out. It's like they don't give a monkeys. I am just starting to think that Wenger is no longer tough enough to remedy these failings. Sure we've had a bad run of injuries, that hasn't helped but you'd expect the likes of Arshavin and Rosicky to play their guts out to keep their place in the side, yet they are plainly not, it's there for all to see.
I'm not saying that Wenger needs to be outed but he needs to make some changes. He needs to out the non-triers before they out him.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Donk84 Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:18 pm

Gentlemen i admit i can be harsh and maybe a little clouded in my vision at times but it comes across as both of you have the same problem. Yes Wenger came in and took 7 talented players and added to it but he had a base, a back bone if you like, however since that back 5 (i include Seaman who in my and many pundits opinions is one of the most talented Goalkeepers to play this fine game ) now since they started and finished retiring around 03-04 what has Wenger done? has he rebuilt? has he looked at any leagues/players other than French? has he even learnt more than one tactic.....is he pig ignorant and stubborn when it comes to spending money ? does he try and blag us fans off saying hes had no money(when financial statistics have stated otherwise) ! or is it just that he hasnt got the stomach or bollocks to be in charge of what should be one of Europes top 5 footballing teams!!!!!!! the answer is NO , name another team that has seen success and has the financial means aswell as tehnical,physical and mental means to win at least one if not two trophies a season .....the answer ...........ZERO! We as a team, both on and off the pitch have seen the sum total of 0 trophies in how may years??????? in fact the way things stand i feel Steve Bould (another legendary player) and his youth team or even our ladies team would be a better choice for the premiership right now............. I'm ANGRY and as a fan i have every right to be angry at the lak of business and footballing Accumen that both the board and the Coaching staff are showing !And yes the players also but there are players within the team that are trying ......Pat Rie had enough last year of Wenger freezing him out and ignoring his advice, the board are deaf to fans,players and coaching staffs concerns ...Wenger seems to be above questioning and i for one have had enough of listing to his french drivilling bullshit !!!!!!!

P.S sorry for the bad grammar but when i rant i cant help but RANT

Donk84

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:27 pm

Oh I dont know... I think he has gotten you to the level that you belong... in fact I think you re over reaching yourselves at the moment.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:48 am

FrenchSpur wrote:Oh I dont know... I think he has gotten you to the level that you belong... in fact I think you re over reaching yourselves at the moment.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aah!!! The spuds. Still judging their success by other teams failure. Very Happy

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:39 pm

jak wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:Oh I dont know... I think he has gotten you to the level that you belong... in fact I think you re over reaching yourselves at the moment.... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Aah!!! The spuds. Still judging their success by other teams failure. Very Happy

I dont believe I mentioned Spurs and I dont think I compared you to anyone.... I just said you seem to be over reaching yourselves this season....
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:18 pm

Donk84 wrote:Gentlemen i admit i can be harsh and maybe a little clouded in my vision at times but it comes across as both of you have the same problem. Yes Wenger came in and took 7 talented players and added to it but he had a base, a back bone if you like, however since that back 5 (i include Seaman who in my and many pundits opinions is one of the most talented Goalkeepers to play this fine game ) now since they started and finished retiring around 03-04 what has Wenger done? has he rebuilt? has he looked at any leagues/players other than French? has he even learnt more than one tactic.....is he pig ignorant and stubborn when it comes to spending money ? does he try and blag us fans off saying hes had no money(when financial statistics have stated otherwise) ! or is it just that he hasnt got the stomach or bollocks to be in charge of what should be one of Europes top 5 footballing teams!!!!!!! the answer is NO , name another team that has seen success and has the financial means aswell as tehnical,physical and mental means to win at least one if not two trophies a season .....the answer ...........ZERO! We as a team, both on and off the pitch have seen the sum total of 0 trophies in how may years??????? in fact the way things stand i feel Steve Bould (another legendary player) and his youth team or even our ladies team would be a better choice for the premiership right now............. I'm ANGRY and as a fan i have every right to be angry at the lak of business and footballing Accumen that both the board and the Coaching staff are showing !And yes the players also but there are players within the team that are trying ......Pat Rie had enough last year of Wenger freezing him out and ignoring his advice, the board are deaf to fans,players and coaching staffs concerns ...Wenger seems to be above questioning and i for one have had enough of listing to his french drivilling bullshit !!!!!!!

To be fair in 2003/2004 the only players in the squad that weren't Wenger signings were Bergkamp and Parlour.Keown was still there but only as cover so I think that you are being somewhat dismissive of what Wenger achieved.I've always been a great admirer of Wenger the manager, not so much of Wenger the man as on countless occasions he's been guilty IMO of great hypocrisy.As a manager though he's been fantastic, an all time great in my lifetime.For me, without Wenger Arsenal would be in the same boat as Everton,Villa and Spurs.By that I mean threatening success every 4 or 5 years before the best players leave and another rebuild is required.I believe that although Wenger was seen as one of the most forward thinking managers when he arrived in England he's now getting left behind.The football played by Arsenal with Pires,henry and bergkamp in their pomp was for me and a number of neutrals the best seen in the Premiership, just eclipsing Keegan's Newcastle side of the 90s.Problem is now as I see it that whilst Arsenal used to beat teams playing their football they could also mix it.Henry and Bergkamp as good as they were could take a kick and the likes of Viera,Lauren,Gilberto and Campbell didn't make dishing it out either.I'd say Arsene needs a strong assistant and he could do with sacrificing his idealogy for a couple of 'honest pros' who technically aren't as good as the Rosicky's and Arshavin's of this world but would bring some much needed steel to the side.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:40 pm

Spot on, QB.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:55 pm

Good debate to read.

ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:21 pm

Petit and Viera were an awesome midfield pairing
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  Donk84 Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:25 pm

He has a good Assistant ,but he chooses to ignore him! aswell as the rest of the backroom staff ...I just cant believe that as a club of our stature we have'nt done anything to stop the rot of the last 6 years and cannot see anything changing in the near future! Im Arsenal Through and Through and nothing will change that but i do feel a change in management and a complete overhaul of the team is needed.............

Donk84

Back to top Go down

Post  Donk84 Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:26 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Petit and Viera were an awesome midfield pairing
REALLY? i thought Petit was hanging off the tails of the three players around him ....but thats my opinion!

Donk84

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:36 pm

As you'll be aware I don't agree 100% with your criticism of Arsene Wenger - and frankly I'm appalled that someone who's "Arsenal through and through" could be so effin disrespectful of the best manager The Arsenal have ever had - BUT, let's take your "Club re-organization/Wenger out/Buy some players" rant a further step.
1) Who will be the top man at the club (I'm assuming you don't like the American-who-likes-Gazidis-who-likes-Wenger)?
2) Who will be the new manager?
3) Who are the players we're going to buy?
Answers to those questions will doubtless tick all the required boxes and we'll all live happily-ever-after, eh?!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:55 pm

Donk84 wrote:
REALLY? i thought Petit was hanging off the tails of the three players around him ....but thats my opinion!

All about opinions, but personally though Petit was an excellent player
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  Donk84 Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm

jpr60 wrote:As you'll be aware I don't agree 100% with your criticism of Arsene Wenger - and frankly I'm appalled that someone who's "Arsenal through and through" could be so effin disrespectful of the best manager The Arsenal have ever had - BUT, let's take your "Club re-organization/Wenger out/Buy some players" rant a further step.
1) Who will be the top man at the club (I'm assuming you don't like the American-who-likes-Gazidis-who-likes-Wenger)?
Answers to those questions will doubtless tick all the required boxes and we'll all live happily-ever-after, eh?!

What about Chapman? Admitidly it was adifferent era but still without him we wouldnt have the club that we know. I agree Wenger has won trophies in the past and admitidly im being harsh but over the last 8 years he has made the same mistakes over and over , he hasn't learnt! Ferguson has adapted to changes in the game , which is the reason why hes the most successful manager in the last 20 years . Wenger hasnt . Even you must concede this point ?

1) i Do like Kroenke he has a proven record with sports clubs, and i do like Gazidis but sticking with a man who hasnt furthered the club in Footballing terms (i admit as a business Wenger has been phenomenal) is not what the team needs ,
2) As managers go we've dropped in standards too far to attract the sort of manager we need , we seem to be at the point of having to start from scratch
3) We SHOULD have bought players 4 years ago when we still ahd a half decent base team , but that point is mute. We need to be looking at experience and solid players , we need a backbone again. But again our standard has dropped and so the big name signings we could do with don't want to join the club as proven by Mata....

I'm sorry if you feel im disrespectful but im a realist, Wenger no longer has what it takes to take Arsenal 'Forward' . Its not just myself that feels this way , look at fans reactions all around the Emirates. Listen to the interviews of fans before the Utd game , they all said as long as we dont lose by more than 3 goals ....the fans and the club need more than dreams . I feel we will have to agree to disagree as i'm not willing to concede my point that Wenger is not the man to restore the club to its rightfull place of top 5 team in Europe

Donk84

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Donk84 wrote:Gentlemen i admit i can be harsh and maybe a little clouded in my vision at times but it comes across as both of you have the same problem. Yes Wenger came in and took 7 talented players and added to it but he had a base, a back bone if you like, however since that back 5 (i include Seaman who in my and many pundits opinions is one of the most talented Goalkeepers to play this fine game ) now since they started and finished retiring around 03-04 what has Wenger done? has he rebuilt? has he looked at any leagues/players other than French? has he even learnt more than one tactic.....is he pig ignorant and stubborn when it comes to spending money ? does he try and blag us fans off saying hes had no money(when financial statistics have stated otherwise) ! or is it just that he hasnt got the stomach or bollocks to be in charge of what should be one of Europes top 5 footballing teams!!!!!!! the answer is NO , name another team that has seen success and has the financial means aswell as tehnical,physical and mental means to win at least one if not two trophies a season .....the answer ...........ZERO! We as a team, both on and off the pitch have seen the sum total of 0 trophies in how may years??????? in fact the way things stand i feel Steve Bould (another legendary player) and his youth team or even our ladies team would be a better choice for the premiership right now............. I'm ANGRY and as a fan i have every right to be angry at the lak of business and footballing Accumen that both the board and the Coaching staff are showing !And yes the players also but there are players within the team that are trying ......Pat Rie had enough last year of Wenger freezing him out and ignoring his advice, the board are deaf to fans,players and coaching staffs concerns ...Wenger seems to be above questioning and i for one have had enough of listing to his french drivilling bullshit !!!!!!!

Here's the 6' 3" Seaman making himself 3' 2" on the near post.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quI_LkMj4HI

Is this REALLY one of the most talented keepers ever to have played the game. REALLY?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiYt3iNWau0

Oopsy Daisy!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExUX7MBk5UM

Three MAJOR feck ups in three vital games. Seaman is the most overrated keeper ever to have played the game, some players get a reputation they simply do not deserve.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:04 pm

Donk84 wrote:
jpr60 wrote:As you'll be aware I don't agree 100% with your criticism of Arsene Wenger - and frankly I'm appalled that someone who's "Arsenal through and through" could be so effin disrespectful of the best manager The Arsenal have ever had - BUT, let's take your "Club re-organization/Wenger out/Buy some players" rant a further step.

What about Chapman? Admitidly it was adifferent era but still without him we wouldnt have the club that we know. I agree Wenger has won trophies in the past and admitidly im being harsh but over the last 8 years he has made the same mistakes over and over , he hasn't learnt! Ferguson has adapted to changes in the game , which is the reason why hes the most successful manager in the last 20 years . Wenger hasnt . Even you must concede this point ?

1) i Do like Kroenke he has a proven record with sports clubs, and i do like Gazidis but sticking with a man who hasnt furthered the club in Footballing terms (i admit as a business Wenger has been phenomenal) is not what the team needs ,
2) As managers go we've dropped in standards too far to attract the sort of manager we need , we seem to be at the point of having to start from scratch
3) We SHOULD have bought players 4 years ago when we still ahd a half decent base team , but that point is mute. We need to be looking at experience and solid players , we need a backbone again. But again our standard has dropped and so the big name signings we could do with don't want to join the club as proven by Mata....

I'm sorry if you feel im disrespectful but im a realist, Wenger no longer has what it takes to take Arsenal 'Forward' . Its not just myself that feels this way , look at fans reactions all around the Emirates. Listen to the interviews of fans before the Utd game , they all said as long as we dont lose by more than 3 goals ....the fans and the club need more than dreams . I feel we will have to agree to disagree as i'm not willing to concede my point that Wenger is not the man to restore the club to its rightfull place of top 5 team in Europe

1) I think the biggest problem that Wenger has had, since Dein left, is that he does not have a fixer to tie up a deal.
In my view Gazidis has not got a clue and is at the root of many of our problems in the transfer market.
2) If THE Arsenal job became available, the queue of applicants would stretch halfway roun the Emirates.
3) Mata? What a loss. Rolling Eyes

Whether Wenger is the man to take us forward, we'll have to see. He is under the microscope like never before.
As a lifelong fan of The Arsenal, Wenger will have my undying respect and gratitude for all that he's done for the club and me, as a fan.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:49 am

villanfromluton wrote:
Donk84 wrote:

All about opinions, but personally though Petit was an excellent player

Dont agree with you most of the time. But your right.
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:38 am

I think Wenger's biggest problem is an inability to ever admit he got it wrong.
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:16 am

Donk84 wrote:

OK, we'll agree to disagree. Arsene Wenger put us up there amongst the top European clubs and I believe he's the man to do it again. Kicking out a manager who could walk into any football job he wanted in the world (he's currently being labelled as one of Real Madrid's targets to replace The Special One) and "starting from scratch" manager and player-wise is just not on.
I believe our current situation is temporary - with Sagna, Arteta and Wilshere back we'll already look miles better and, again IMO, Wenger has given us eight top class players at the club right now - Szszesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, Song and van Persie with the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain waiting in the wings. Let's wait and see.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:08 pm

Arsene's biggest task is convincing RvP that he can create a team that can win again. Without RvP Arsenal are not a top 4 side. Nasri, Cesc and RvP not so far away from being tip top if RvP leaves over the summer Arsene will have to work a miracle to make up the gap thats opened up injuries or no injuries.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:23 pm

villainies wrote:Arsene's biggest task is convincing RvP that he can create a team that can win again. Without RvP Arsenal are not a top 4 side. Nasri, Cesc and RvP not so far away from being tip top if RvP leaves over the summer Arsene will have to work a miracle to make up the gap thats opened up injuries or no injuries.

At the moment they're not a top 4 side and that's with Van Persie.I can honestly see Liverpool finishing above them now with Arsenal getting 6th.Could be so different if they signed a centre half.I'd say that the majority of Prem clubs have at least one centre half who would improve the Arsenal side.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:26 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
villainies wrote:Arsene's biggest task is convincing RvP that he can create a team that can win again. Without RvP Arsenal are not a top 4 side. Nasri, Cesc and RvP not so far away from being tip top if RvP leaves over the summer Arsene will have to work a miracle to make up the gap thats opened up injuries or no injuries.

At the moment they're not a top 4 side and that's with Van Persie.I can honestly see Liverpool finishing above them now with Arsenal getting 6th.Could be so different if they signed a centre half.I'd say that the majority of Prem clubs have at least one centre half who would improve the Arsenal side.

Parker and Cahill in the summer, and they'd have been 3rd IMO.

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:27 pm

QBVILLA wrote:

But the Gooners keep harping on about the injuries which have been quite tough. Where would they be without his 19 goals? This summer must be make or break for him.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:28 pm

jpr60 wrote:
Donk84 wrote:

OK, we'll agree to disagree. Arsene Wenger put us up there amongst the top European clubs and I believe he's the man to do it again. Kicking out a manager who could walk into any football job he wanted in the world (he's currently being labelled as one of Real Madrid's targets to replace The Special One) and "starting from scratch" manager and player-wise is just not on.
I believe our current situation is temporary - with Sagna, Arteta and Wilshere back we'll already look miles better and, again IMO, Wenger has given us eight top class players at the club right now - Szszesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Ramsey, Wilshere, Arteta, Song and van Persie with the likes of Oxlade-Chamberlain waiting in the wings. Let's wait and see.

All top players jp, but with the exception of Wilshere and van Persie are partial making a cock-up or going missing. Arsenal are entirely capable of beating any team by 5 or 6 goals on their day, but they're perfectly capable of losing by that amount too.

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:35 pm

villainies wrote:
QBVILLA wrote:

But the Gooners keep harping on about the injuries which have been quite tough. Where would they be without his 19 goals? This summer must be make or break for him.

Relegation threatened.However, that's a daft question you could take any side and pick out a big player from their team and ask the same question and you'd draw a similar conclusion.Yes injuries have caused them problems but injuries happen and the top sides cope with them.Man Utd have also suffered through injuries but they're still in there only 3 points off the top despite City racing to 54 points.Fact is the squad, not the team are simply not good enough.That's why they're struggling.Simple.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next