JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neutral opinions

3 posters

Go down

Neutral opinions Empty Neutral opinions

Post  jpr60 Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:45 am

I was talking to a group of mates last evening, over a few beers, some wine - as you do - and was interested to hear the views of a couple of non-Gooners. They agreed that they expected Arsene Wenger to leave the club at the end of the current season. Their thinking was that he was too good a manager, a person to put up with the non-stop criticism he's been getting recently; that he could walk into any job in football so why put up with the grief. They feel that he won't stay 'til 2014, when his contract runs out because to do so might compromise his position vis-à-vis potential appointments elsewhere and it's the end of this season that there'll be a lot of manager movement.
Can't argue with the logic TBH, although I do feel Arsene would prefer to see out his current contract - but I've got a real problem with who we could possibly hope to find as a manager/coach if Arsene walks.
I hope it won't happen, I hope Arsene stays - wants to stay - I'd rather see him leave/retire whatever on a high rather than having been chased out by mindless and incessant criticism from people who have an agenda - they've come out against him a couple of years ago and now take every opportunity to slag him off (I'm thinking the likes of that troll Myles effin' Palmerwho doesn't know whether he's coming or going but dedicates a web-page to criticism - whereas some years back he wrote a book about Wenger and still advertises it)!
Perhaps a strong finish to the season will encourage Arsene to continue - although he could also raise two digits and say "I'm off"!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Neutral opinions Empty Re: Neutral opinions

Post  FrenchSpur Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:31 pm

He is so pig headed that he wont go until pushed.... be that a move upstairs or an outright sacking..

As to a replacement... There are loads of people out there rule number one in business is that people are not irreplaceable..
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:04 pm

For me Wenger is very dogmatic. He'll do it his way even if his way is proved wrong time and time again. It's an idiotic trait and he's, sadly, made a fool of himself on occasions.
Having said that we had a real once in a lifetime team. I suppose it's natural to look for it twice in a lifetime despite the fact that its impossible.
I've said before I believe there are problems above Wenger, they're not all his.
A better manager? I don't know one aside from Ferguson, who for me is the outstanding manager and is tactically very astute.
So I'll hope Wenger stays and gets off his high horse and addresses the problems with the spine of our team that have been glaring for all to see for too many years now.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:08 pm

FrenchSpur wrote:He is so pig headed that he wont go until pushed.... be that a move upstairs or an outright sacking..

As to a replacement... There are loads of people out there rule number one in business is that people are not irreplaceable..

Business perhaps but football is more than just business (someone should tell 'Arry). For example, when was the last time Tottingham had a good manager (i.e. I think they've got one now)? "Loads of people" isn't enough when you want someone of note. We were fortunate enough to have George Graham at his managerial peak, followed not too long after by the best manager we've ever had - and now some cnuts want him out, for who? Guardiola I'd accept but I can't think of anyone else that could walk in and do the job.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  FrenchSpur Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:11 pm

jpr60 wrote:
FrenchSpur wrote:He is so pig headed that he wont go until pushed.... be that a move upstairs or an outright sacking..

Business perhaps but football is more than just business (someone should tell 'Arry). For example, when was the last time Tottingham had a good manager (i.e. I think they've got one now)? "Loads of people" isn't enough when you want someone of note. We were fortunate enough to have George Graham at his managerial peak, followed not too long after by the best manager we've ever had - and now some cnuts want him out, for who? Guardiola I'd accept but I can't think of anyone else that could walk in and do the job.

You need to remember that Wenger was an unknown when he turned up. He did inherit a good team though... So a new guy would need to build a team but as I said there are lots of people out there who can do it.
FrenchSpur
FrenchSpur

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down