JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bolton then Bolton.

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bolton then Bolton. Empty Bolton then Bolton.

Post  jpr60 Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:17 pm

So the next match up, on Sunday is at Bolton, under their new manager and our re-arranged home match with Bolton is on the following Wednesday.
I doubt that Coyle can transform Bolton into a football-playing team in a few days so that'll be two games against the old Bolton, physical battles, long balls, crosses into the box, with a manager who is a sight more canny than the previous few they've had. He's certainly done well against us with his football-playing Burnley team.
Can we beat them once? Twice? Well yes, of course we can and probably should but that second match will be a bruiser at The Grove, no doubt!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Bolton then Bolton. Empty Re: Bolton then Bolton.

Post  jpr60 Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:35 pm

I trust Captain Cesc will bring the dynamism back to his team - I'm expecting a no-nonsense performance tomorrow and a good win - come on Arsenal!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:05 pm

Good enough, should have scored more but, overall a solid performance, which is what was required. Eastmond did well enough - he's a touch light-weight for the holding role IMO but he put himself about well enough.
The return match at The Grove promises to be more of the same - I'm quietly optimistic for a good result.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Good professional performance JPR, like the look of that Merida, took the goal very well and looks to have a sweet left foot. Diabby is getting better and better and Fabregas is just a class act. Thought the left back looked a bit suspect at times, but probably not getting much help from Arshavin doesnt help him.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:22 pm

Yep. Solid performance. I hope we don't lose Merida, he looks a great prospect.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 pm

I heard he was going back to Spain Jak, dont know if that is the case. Looks a good player
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:07 pm

villanfromluton wrote:I heard he was going back to Spain Jak, dont know if that is the case. Looks a good player

He's out of contract in the summer but I don't think the door is closed yet, despite the rumours. If the lad's got a brain he'll see a good future with the Gunners. With a tweak here and there, this could be a really good squad that can be involved in everything for the next few years.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:34 pm

You have Clichy back now as well, very good news. Still think you could do with a good keeper and bet you wish you had Van Persie fit, but I think you will be challenging all the way Jak.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:04 pm

villanfromluton wrote:You have Clichy back now as well, very good news. Still think you could do with a good keeper and bet you wish you had Van Persie fit, but I think you will be challenging all the way Jak.

I don't think Clichy has been in such good form for some time now but he's a good player. Of course I'd love to see Van Persie playing but it's not to be. Almunia? I don't know what's happened to him and why does he keep crashing the ball up onto the oppo centre half's head? Yes, we need a good goalie and quality back up at centre back. Things are looking better in central midfield now that Song has made up. We have a few options there now.
I'd like to see Bendtner available as an option. I've never seen us cross the ball so much since we've had two little blokes up front. It's a shame if we are forced to sign a forward, I think that will cause complications in the future.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:28 am

There'll be changes for the Wednesday game, I'm hoping Clichy is back in defence, perhaps Diaby will be given the holding role and who knows, perhaps Merida might start? Need the win - there's a long way to go yet and some tough matches after the Stoke FA Cup tie so we need the 3 points.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:57 am

jpr60 wrote:There'll be changes for the Wednesday game, I'm hoping Clichy is back in defence, perhaps Diaby will be given the holding role and who knows, perhaps Merida might start? Need the win - there's a long way to go yet and some tough matches after the Stoke FA Cup tie so we need the 3 points.

Wouldn't you know it? Merida has picked up an ankle injury so he won't be involved - pity. Theo and Denilson return. Actually Theo could prove to be an important factor against a Bolton side that will try to pack the midfield this time, which could well block our usual quick-passing-to-feet routine. With Theo it could be a ball over the top (you remember those, Ian Wright style) - we'll see.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm

How Old-Fashioned was that? Two-nil down, win 4-2, fair takes me back does that.
Anyway, we gave away two goals (p!ss-poor defending/stupid and uneccesary tackle for the pen - which Almunia almost saved) then proceeded to set about Bolton in a manner totally becoming of a team looking for the big prize.
First goal - superb power shot from Rosicky who left the keeper for dead (I assume he wasn't prepared for the shot coming as it did, plus there was a defender blocking his vision);
Second goal - Captain Cesc powered through to somehow plant the ball between the keepers legs from an accute angle (yes, there was a foul in the build-up, Gallas catching Davies but the ref saw the challenge and didn't blow up);
Third goal - somewhat similar to Bolton's first, the defence couldn't clear and Vaemaelen was free as the ball dropped to turn and blast home;
Fourth goal - a brilliant thrust from AA - I don't know how he manages to keep such close control at speed - and a finish to warm the cockles, so to speak.
An overall good performance (aside from the two goals conceded - is that possible?) and Almunia made a telling stop low to his right so even he gets some browny points. We should have scored more - AA had the chance to feed Theo for a tap-in late in the game but chose to go it alone but I can forgive that and Eduardo could have done better with an early opening. Still job done and........

We are top'the league, we are top'the league! (repeat endlessly).

I know, I know it's not for long, ManU play Hull on Saturday whilst the rest of us are playing in the FA Cup but we'll be winning our next five league games (he said, hopefully) so we'll be able to repeat that little chant again in a month. Just pleased, meanwhile that we've managed to get to the top after what I'd assumed was THE END after that horrible loss to Chelsea. We've got some revenge matches coming up!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:14 pm

CHEATING GITS, who was the ref, Mr Magoo?
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:32 pm

Anyone remember monsieur Gallas' reaction after Martin Taylor's tackle on Eduardo? Mark Davies is a very lucky boy today not to have a broken ankle after that 'challenge'.In Taylor's defence he's a carthorse who was totally out skilled by Eduardo.Gallas is a fine player of top international standard.Bang out of order IMO,unprofessional and tantamount to cheating.Dirty frog bastard Mad
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:03 pm

QBVILLA wrote:Anyone remember monsieur Gallas' reaction after Martin Taylor's tackle on Eduardo? Mark Davies is a very lucky boy today not to have a broken ankle after that 'challenge'.In Taylor's defence he's a carthorse who was totally out skilled by Eduardo.Gallas is a fine player of top international standard.Bang out of order IMO,unprofessional and tantamount to cheating.Dirty frog bastard Mad

Don't hold back QB Old Son, speak your mind!
It was a clumsy challenge but no more than that IMO - in fact Gallas had his arms raised as if readying himself for a collision with Davies - it was a pretty physical game out there so although he did commit a foul it wasn't comparable to the Taylor/Eduardo incident. It could well be that the ref thought that Davies made a meal of the tackle - at that point Bolton were wasting as much time as possible in an attempt to hold on to their lead so their time-wasting tactics backfired.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

I've noticed the void left by the spuds is being amply filled by the Villans. Very Happy

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:04 pm

jak wrote:I've noticed the void left by the spuds is being amply filled by the Villans. Very Happy

We have the added bonus of foreskins as well Spin
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:29 pm

When Luton was circumcised, they threw away the wrong bit.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:08 pm

Just like Wenger, I havent seen the challenge by Gallas, but a well respected ref commented on talksport that it was a straight red card challenge. How can it not be compared to the Eduardo challenge purely on the basis that last nights was a physical game ?

Do you gunners old boys recall an incident between Wenger having a go at Martin Jol during a Derby game saying the ball should be kicked out cos two Arsenal players had collided with each other?

Only problem is that well respected ref thought you didnt send a player off in the world cup until he had 3 yellow cards Wink
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:13 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Just like Wenger, I havent seen the challenge by Gallas, but a well respected ref commented on talksport that it was a straight red card challenge. How can it not be compared to the Eduardo challenge purely on the basis that last nights was a physical game ?

Do you gunners old boys recall an incident between Wenger having a go at Martin Jol during a Derby game saying the ball should be kicked out cos two Arsenal players had collided with each other?

Only problem is that well respected ref thought you didnt send a player off in the world cup until he had 3 yellow cards Wink

Here's Luton with a mouthful of bollocks. Tosspot

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:21 pm

What you on about Jak, what have I said that is bollocks, except of course Poll being respected. As I said I have not seen the challenge, but it was a major talking point today and the majority of opinion was that it was a poor challenge and could have caused a lot of damage to the player. Luckily that isnt the case, but surely that doesnt lessen the offence?
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:23 pm

villanfromluton wrote:Just like Wenger, I havent seen the challenge by Gallas, but a well respected ref commented on talksport that it was a straight red card challenge. How can it not be compared to the Eduardo challenge purely on the basis that last nights was a physical game ?

At the risk of throwing in facts, the rules changed since Mart Jol encouraged his team to attack Arsenal when they had two players down - in those days it was a question of sportsmanship, now it's the ref who decides if and when a game should be stopped. Later on in the match another Bolton player was down but Bolton had possession and were chasing the game. Did they put the ball out of play? Did they feck'as like!
Gallas and Davies were going for a 50-50 ball, Davies nicked it first and Gallas caught him. When Eduardo was injured he had already played the ball and Taylor still lunged in on his standing foot from the side - an 'agricultural' challenge that was rightly red-carded.
Sorry to mess with your arguments there Lutes - oh and was the 'well respected' ref more capable than the ref who witnessed the incident at first hand and thought that Davies was perhaps taking advantage and trying to waste time as many of his team-mates were doing?

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:32 pm

Teams do still kick the ball out of play though JPR. It is still down to sportsmanship and if Gallas knew he had caught the guy, surely he would realise he could well be quite badly injured?

As for your comment regarding the ref, are you suggesting refs dont make errors then? Even you seem to accept the fact he made a mistake by not giving a foul. Surely Gallas would have known he had caught the guy and he could well be quite badly injured? Seems okay for Arsenal players to kick players, but not if they are given the same treatment in return.

As for the well respected ref, that was more than a touch of sarcasm in that comment Rolling Eyes
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 pm

villanfromluton wrote:What you on about Jak, what have I said that is bollocks, except of course Poll being respected. As I said I have not seen the challenge, but it was a major talking point today and the majority of opinion was that it was a poor challenge and could have caused a lot of damage to the player. Luckily that isnt the case, but surely that doesnt lessen the offence?

Luton, what have you said that is bollocks? EVERYTHING you say is bollocks. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:48 pm

jak wrote:
villanfromluton wrote:What you on about Jak, what have I said that is bollocks, except of course Poll being respected. As I said I have not seen the challenge, but it was a major talking point today and the majority of opinion was that it was a poor challenge and could have caused a lot of damage to the player. Luckily that isnt the case, but surely that doesnt lessen the offence?

Luton, what have you said that is bollocks? EVERYTHING you say is bollocks. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Ive always thought highly of you Jak
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next