JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady

+3
ADRIAN_1976
villanfromluton
Jay.P.A
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady Empty Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady

Post  Jay.P.A Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:11 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8846452.stm

Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady _48456440_mcgeady466b

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has reiterated his admiration for Celtic's Aiden McGeady, while carefully refusing to be drawn on his signing plans.

"I think Aiden McGeady has the ability to play in the Premier League, without question," said O'Neill.

"I had him as a kid at Celtic and played him without worrying too much about his youth.

"He played against AC Milan one night in the Champions League at Celtic Park and he was absolutely fantastic."

O'Neill was speaking in Dublin, where Villa will be based for a four-day training camp.

And he was quizzed about speculation linking him to the Republic of Ireland international trio of McGeady, Robbie Keane and Stephen Ireland.

"We have been linked with an awful lot of players and I would expect that because we are a top quality Premier League side," added O'Neill, who has admitted he is prepared to sell England midfielder James Milner.

"There's no point in me mentioning names but, without wanting to lose players of the calibre of Milner, we would want to try to recruit some players.

"But, as the chairman said at the back end of last season, it's probably going to be a case of having to sell to buy and that's something I'm delving into at the moment."

McGeady has three years of his contract to run at Celtic and Spartak Moscow were told the 24-year-old was not for sale when the Russians made an enquiry in early June.

And Aston Villa's fierce rivals Birmingham had an approach for the winger rejected in January.

However, Celtic boss Neil Lennon said last week that he thought the player was keen on a move away from Glasgow.

"Aiden hasn't said to me he wants to leave in so many words," revealed Lennon. "But that vibe came from his side of things."

Villa skipper Richard Dunne, an international team-mate of McGeady, is also a fan of the Celtic star.

"I haven't spoke to Aiden but he's been brilliant up there and probably the next step for him is the Premier League.

"Whether that's with us or not, I don't know."

Meanwhile, O'Neill has backed his former team Celtic to regain the Scottish Premier League title following back-to-back championship wins for Rangers.

Asked if he thought his former player Lennon could steer the club to success in his first season in charge, O'Neill answered: "I genuinely do.

"It seems to be auguring well, because Rangers are selling players and I saw Walter Smith saying he had a slight concern about letting players go and not getting anybody in.

"Celtic look pretty strong. They had a great back end to last season, in terms of league games. Neil has the backroom team he's asked for, so there's no reason he can't go on and take it ."

____

So I reckon we'll get him then Suspect
Jay.P.A
Jay.P.A

Back to top Go down

Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady Empty Re: Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:14 pm

Not sure about the bloke, will he be another Maloney?
villanfromluton
villanfromluton
na na na na na na NASHMAN

Back to top Go down

Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady Empty Re: Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:25 pm

Not for 10M.. i hope..!

Some say he is a very good player.. others dont rate him.. but it seems Oneil likes him and it also seems to show we will continue to playw with two out and out wingers..

Wouldve loved for us to bring a player in who can unlock a defence esp at Villa park wehre a lot of teams coem for a point.. but he would most likely have to be foreign and i dont think we will be in for anyone from abroad..
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

http://www.printtechsolutions.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:29 pm

Read a couple of opinions of him from Celtic fans, he's bloody Marmite.

He's got a crazy turn though, people call it the 'McGeady Turn'. It's basically like Zidane's 'Marseille turn' but instead of rolling it under his left foot, he clips it with the outside of his left foot. You can see it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcLNUADOQjM
Jay.P.A
Jay.P.A

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Jay.. you never know he might turn out to be a gem.. but 10M is a lot of money for a Scottish player.. and if he turns out to be shite we are screwed.. i personally would love us to get Bentley for 10M.. if he sorted his attitude out.. under Oneil he could turn out to be a bragain!
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:50 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:Jay.. you never know he might turn out to be a gem.. but 10M is a lot of money for a Scottish player.. and if he turns out to be shite we are screwed.. i personally would love us to get Bentley for 10M.. if he sorted his attitude out.. under Oneil he could turn out to be a bragain!

Not sure what that is mate Razz

MON just wants hard working players, minus all the flashy type shit. Look what happened in the Carew incident, and the NRC thing. If a player has history of attitude problems, I really doubt MON will sign someone like that. Thats why I reckon we won't buy Bentley - which is crazy, because do you remember when he giving an interview on SSN, and Bentley bascially said that we'd signed/were very close to signing him?! And as soon as that went public, MON seemed to have pulled the plug?! Thats why I doubt he'd sign players with baggage.

But who the feck knows, MON'll probably go out tomorrow and buy Bellamy and and resign Alpay What a Face
Jay.P.A
Jay.P.A

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:17 pm

I would rather take a punt on cockney spiv Bentley than Mc Geady. The guy is a knob, but hopefully has been put down a peg or two by being a bit part player at the Spuds
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:27 am

Bentley on one wing and Downing on the other, can't think of anything more dull.

As for McGeady, I've never seen him play so can't comment, but apparently he likes to take people on so will be more exciting than endless crosses into the box without beating a man from Downing and Bentley

roadoftrinity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:17 am

Jay.P.A wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/a/aston_villa/8846452.stm

Martin O'Neill fulsome in praise for Aiden McGeady _48456440_mcgeady466b

Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill has reiterated his admiration for Celtic's Aiden McGeady, while carefully refusing to be drawn on his signing plans.

"I think Aiden McGeady has the ability to play in the Premier League, without question," said O'Neill.

"I had him as a kid at Celtic and played him without worrying too much about his youth.

"He played against AC Milan one night in the Champions League at Celtic Park and he was absolutely fantastic."

O'Neill was speaking in Dublin, where Villa will be based for a four-day training camp.

And he was quizzed about speculation linking him to the Republic of Ireland international trio of McGeady, Robbie Keane and Stephen Ireland.

"We have been linked with an awful lot of players and I would expect that because we are a top quality Premier League side," added O'Neill, who has admitted he is prepared to sell England midfielder James Milner.

"There's no point in me mentioning names but, without wanting to lose players of the calibre of Milner, we would want to try to recruit some players.

"But, as the chairman said at the back end of last season, it's probably going to be a case of having to sell to buy and that's something I'm delving into at the moment."

McGeady has three years of his contract to run at Celtic and Spartak Moscow were told the 24-year-old was not for sale when the Russians made an enquiry in early June.

And Aston Villa's fierce rivals Birmingham had an approach for the winger rejected in January.

However, Celtic boss Neil Lennon said last week that he thought the player was keen on a move away from Glasgow.

"Aiden hasn't said to me he wants to leave in so many words," revealed Lennon. "But that vibe came from his side of things."

Villa skipper Richard Dunne, an international team-mate of McGeady, is also a fan of the Celtic star.

"I haven't spoke to Aiden but he's been brilliant up there and probably the next step for him is the Premier League.

"Whether that's with us or not, I don't know."

Meanwhile, O'Neill has backed his former team Celtic to regain the Scottish Premier League title following back-to-back championship wins for Rangers.

Asked if he thought his former player Lennon could steer the club to success in his first season in charge, O'Neill answered: "I genuinely do.

"It seems to be auguring well, because Rangers are selling players and I saw Walter Smith saying he had a slight concern about letting players go and not getting anybody in.

"Celtic look pretty strong. They had a great back end to last season, in terms of league games. Neil has the backroom team he's asked for, so there's no reason he can't go on and take it ."

____

So I reckon we'll get him then Suspect

I´ve sent this on to the Glasgow Police

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:12 am

Quote Martin O'Nail:

""He played against AC Milan one night in the Champions League at Celtic Park and he was absolutely fantastic."

So fecking what.

If we let go of Milner we need to to use that money that the chairman has obviously made clear to O'Niel, sell and then maybe you can buy policy, which to me shows a lack of faith in the managers transfer dealings, we need to get in at least as good if not better.

If this McGeady is as good as MON thinks he is then why aren't we competing with the likes of other top 6 sides who aren't even being linked with him in terms of rumour, the only interest is coming form Birmingham City, and some foreign side, and that's passed..........and 10ml.... Mad if we have to have a player to strengthen fine but no more than 4ml as a ball park figure. IMO

Ireland....from Man City..ffs, he can't get a regular birth at Man City, mind you as Jay say's he does have a Lambo and he is very flash scratch ......Don't get that, unless your thinking is that the FA may give Villa some kind of dispensation, change the rules and allow Ireland to use his car during the games....who knows may give the fella some pace.

Back to top Go down

Post  villanfromluton Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:24 am

Mal, while I agree with you on McGeady, I think Ireland would be a good signing. We need a goalscoring midfielder and he could be that player.
villanfromluton
villanfromluton

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:29 am

villanfromluton wrote:Mal, while I agree with you on McGeady, I think Ireland would be a good signing. We need a goalscoring midfielder and he could be that player.

Agree about Ireland.. he could turn out to be a great signing.. and the fact we wont really look abroad to sign anyone.. he is as good as there is available on these shores..

Mcgeady is another winger.. its about time we signed someone who has a serious influence over a plan B.. so many teams have come to Villa park last two seasons and walked away witha draw because plan A didnt work and we didnt have anyone to unlock the door.. plus if we continue to play 4-4-2 im worried about Petrov.. he needs more help in the middle..
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 am

villanfromluton wrote:Mal, while I agree with you on McGeady, I think Ireland would be a good signing. We need a goalscoring midfielder and he could be that player.

What do you base that on? not talking about your hunch or opinion, understand that, fair enough, but lets look at the facts, that blokes done naf all and yet for some strange Loch Ness monster type myth, Villa fans seem to think oohhh lets get Ireland he's good.....how, where, when did this happen that he established this reputation, he's been on the bench for a good part of the last couple of seasons.

Lutes looks like Defour is on the market, Man Utd are in for him, Villa where linked a few years ago, he is proven in European football,

We are also being linked with Flamini, another player that can't break through to first choice.

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:06 am

Malachite wrote:

What do you base that on? not talking about your hunch or opinion, understand that, fair enough, but lets look at the facts, that blokes done naf all and yet for some strange Loch Ness monster type myth, Villa fans seem to think oohhh lets get Ireland he's good.....how, where, when did this happen that he established this reputation, he's been on the bench for a good part of the last couple of seasons.

Not last season but the season before, he was superb, in the running for young player of the year, scored 13 goals, and 9 premier league assists. Not a bad turn out really?

Malachite wrote:
Lutes looks like Defour is on the market, Man Utd are in for him, Villa where linked a few years ago, he is proven in European football,

Never seen Defour play so cant comment what so ever on him.

Malachite wrote:
We are also being linked with Flamini, another player that can't break through to first choice.

Flamini would be a great signing, he was superb at Arsenal, so what, he cant break through at AC Milan, he would walk into our team.

roadoftrinity

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:37 pm

i'd be delighted to get Ireland to Villa.Mal, the fact he can't get into the Man City side isn't a valid enough reason to say he's not good enough.Hughes had him as first choice up until he was injured and upon his return he couldn't get back into the side under Mancini.your flamini argument is a weak one also.There are players at top clubs around the world sitting on the bench who'd walk into the Villa side.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:23 pm

Flamini was brilliant at Arsenal.. havent seen him play at all for Milan.. so not sure if he was a flash in the pan or just had a bad time at a club.. if he was to get his Arsenal form back.. 4-5M is a snip for him..
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:28 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:Flamini was brilliant at Arsenal.. havent seen him play at all for Milan.. so not sure if he was a flash in the pan or just had a bad time at a club.. if he was to get his Arsenal form back.. 4-5M is a snip for him..

4-5 million is a snip for anyone these days.can't say that it's a signing that would really excite me but he's better than petrov
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Flamini would be a great signing, I remember a couple of seasons ago it was him and Fabregas in Central Midfield for Arsenal - and EVERYBODY thought they'd be too lightweight, but in reality they fecking passed they're way out of everything.

Anyway, at AC Milan, the reason why he can't get a look in is because they've got Seedorf, Gattuso, Pirlo, and probably Ambrosini in front of him in the pecking order. Yeah they're much older then Flamini but undoubtly some of the most recognised names in world footy.

Sign him up if he's available! and then sign Rafael Van Der Vaart! Would be amazing if we got him, shows ambition and maybe an even bigger rise in ticket sales.
Jay.P.A
Jay.P.A

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Jay.P.A wrote:

Sign him up if he's available! and then sign Rafael Van Der Vaart! Would be amazing if we got him, shows ambition and maybe an even bigger rise in ticket sales.

We wont sign either of them, we will sign Robbie Keane and probably someone like Jermain Jenas.

Oh, I can hardly contain my excitment for a next season. Sad

roadoftrinity

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:59 pm

Laughing

I know mate.

Not sure why MON doesn't snap up his players early so that they can train with his new team mates in pre season. I mean even Robbie Keane is with Tottingham in the US right now, and that was supposed to be a done deal.
Jay.P.A
Jay.P.A

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:28 pm

roadoftrinity wrote:
Jay.P.A wrote:

We wont sign either of them, we will sign Robbie Keane and probably someone like Jermain Jenas.

Oh, I can hardly contain my excitment for a next season. Sad

Just cus your Fridays not going well doesnt mean you feck everyone elses up too.. Mad Mad
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:35 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:
Just cus your Fridays not going well doesnt mean you feck everyone elses up too.. Mad Mad

Ha ha, my day is going well. Just feeling peed off at the thought out most exciting signing been Robbie Keane, just so dull.

I saw this on Villatalk though, which was by a Celtic fan about McGeady which was interesting, as I think we will be signing him.

Celtic_Fan wrote:I was going to post this on the McGeady thread but don't have access so I'll post it here:

As a Celtic fan I’ve been having a read through your forum since Aiden McGeady has been linked with a move to Villa.

A number of people have made sweeping comments about McGeady being rubbish when in reality I suspect that they actually know very little about him. I guess the reason for the prejudice is the fact that he is playing in Scotland. While I accept that the SPL isn’t the best quality it is comparable with a number of other European Leagues. If Villa were linked with an £8-10M move for a highly rated 24 year old that played for Anderlecht in the Belgian League would there be so much opposition?

For what it’s worth I reckon that Aiden McGeady is the most naturally gifted player to come out of Scotland for a number of years (technically superior, more resilient and a better mentality to Shaun Maloney who he has been compared to on this forum) He is a great dribbler, has very quick feet, and despite people suggesting otherwise does have an end product. People who question his end product focus on the occasions when he fluffs a cross rather than the times when he puts in a great ball only to see the striker squander the chance. There was a game against Dundee United last season where Aiden laid on 4 gilt edged chances in the first half and the strikers spurned all of them.

His best position is as a left winger although he can play on the right. His strengths are his ability to beat most full-backs when one on one, and his ability to produce a trick to get the fans on their feet. His weakness is his lack of goals. When he cuts inside he is often off balance which results in a high proportion of shots missing the target.

In his first few seasons he was unplayable to such an extent that opponents now double up on McGeady in every game.

Last season was particularly hard for McGeady as he was often played out of position on the right hand side in a very poor Celtic side. He was the player that the team relied on to change the game and I think that the extra responsibility resulted in McGeady trying to win games single-handedly. Despite this he still scored 7 goals and laid on 14 for the worst collection of Celtic strikers in living memory. Had Robbie Keane been at Celtic all season I reckon that McGeady would have had at least 20 assists.

Aiden has begun to stagnate at Celtic and now is the right time for him and Celtic to part company. Aiden McGeady will be a success if he moves to the Premier League as the opposition will not be able to single him out for special treatment the way they do up here. Having had a look at some of the full-backs that he would be up against I’ve got no reason to see why he couldn’t get the better of the majority of them.

I can see why you might not want Villa to buy another winger but I reckon that if you sign him he’ll be good for 5 or 6 goals and 10 assists per season and will be a fan’s favourite by Christmas.

roadoftrinity

Back to top Go down

Post  ADRIAN_1976 Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:39 pm

Interesting read RoT.. but on the flip side ive heard Irish fans say he does feck all for them.. so everyone has a view.. just not inspired with addign another winger.. it doesnt chnage our system or being into play plan B for when shite teams are sitting back and we cant break them down..

Your right about Keane etc.. but i said this even last year we should take a risk.. what have we got to lose.. our team even now is stil a team that will challenge for 6th.. add Keane and it wont change anything.. take a risk and you never know...........
ADRIAN_1976
ADRIAN_1976

Back to top Go down

Post  roadoftrinity Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 pm

ADRIAN_1976 wrote:Interesting read RoT.. but on the flip side ive heard Irish fans say he does feck all for them.. so everyone has a view.. just not inspired with addign another winger.. it doesnt chnage our system or being into play plan B for when shite teams are sitting back and we cant break them down..

Your right about Keane etc.. but i said this even last year we should take a risk.. what have we got to lose.. our team even now is stil a team that will challenge for 6th.. add Keane and it wont change anything.. take a risk and you never know...........

But then maybe a winger gives us the option to change it, then we can play Young off the striker which could work well. Would prefer to see him given a go there than Keane.

roadoftrinity

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay.P.A Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Reckon this might be what MON will go for at this moment in time, if we sell Milner and buy McGeady:

-----------Friedel
Cuellar Collins Dunne Warnock
--------Petrov NRC-----------
Downing-------------McGeady
----------Young-------------
--------------Gabby---------

Not too bad to be honest. I'd like to give that a go when we're not playing at home
Jay.P.A
Jay.P.A

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next