JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We are.....

+4
QBVILLA
villanfromluton
jak
jpr60
8 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

We are..... - Page 5 Empty Re: We are.....

Post  jak Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:31 pm

Tilton wrote:Haven't people been saying similar things for years now though? Players leave and adequate replacements don't come in, let alone the extra players you need to be properly competitive.

What do we need? Three players, max. Centre forward, central midfield (?) and centre half.
All other players tied down, with none, apart from Sagna, imminently out of contract. Things are on the up.
You can't ignore the fact that the new stadium, ageing deals with sponsors, the development of Highbury have had a big effect on our participation in the transfer market. Yet throughout we've maintained our position as one of the top four teams in the PL. Quite an achievement. All those things are now unravelling and our whole situation is looking so much better. I'm not always a fan of Wengers tactics but I don't see a better man for the job.
Despite all the zillions Chelsea and Man C have aimed at it, I don't see us as being so far behind them, so I'm confident that, given our improved situation, we will be ruffling their feathers over the next few years.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:50 am

A centre forward, a central midfielder and a centre half? So basically players in three of the most important positions in your team need replacing? But apart from that you're ok? So why hasn't Wenger done this already? It's not like Arsenal are skint - far from it.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:58 am

Tilton wrote:A centre forward, a central midfielder and a centre half? So basically players in three of the most important positions in your team need replacing? But apart from that you're ok? So why hasn't Wenger done this already? It's not like Arsenal are skint - far from it.

I think you'll find that it's cover for those three positions that we're looking for unless, of course a Top Striker can be obtained (we did try for Suarez). Our central defence has been ace this season but we're short if an injury occurs. Likewise we've lots of midfielders but Flamini is the lone protector, Arteta and Wilshere the central players so, again cover is required.
Look, we're currently third and have been top for much of the season - not exactly failure so far is it? And, as jak so rightly says there isn't a replacement for Arsene Wenger out there so, taking everything into consideration (trophies won during his tenure, new stadium, continued top-four position in the table with CL participation every year) I'll stick.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:11 am

The trophies he won were a loooooooong time ago though, weren't they? And I don't think that Wenger built the new stadium, did he? Fair play to him if he did though. I'll give you the top 4 finishes, but that should be the absolute minimum requirement for a club like Arsenal. I reckon somebody like Mourinho would have done better for you.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:43 pm

Tilton wrote:The trophies he won were a loooooooong time ago though, weren't they? And I don't think that Wenger built the new stadium, did he? Fair play to him if he did though. I'll give you the top 4 finishes, but that should be the absolute minimum requirement for a club like Arsenal. I reckon somebody like Mourinho would have done better for you.

Wenger managed the limited resources whilst the new stadium was built (having managed the requirements of the training facilities before that - which the likes of Chelsea have studied/copied) and kept The Arsenal in the top four in competition with the multi-millions spent by Abramovich (to mention only a few) and whichever manager he was employing at the time (there have been a few haven't there?).

"Somebody like Mourinho would have done better" only if the funds used to build the stadium had been diverted for his use to buy players. I prefer the stadium, our top-four finishes (with CL participation) and a sound financial base/future to a couple of trophies - and, honestly, I might have moved away from my favourite club if they'd employed The Special One!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:38 pm

Ok, you've convinced me. Apart from the bit where you say that you're not bothered about winning anything. I don't believe that bit. You don't need to spend billions to win domestic trophies, as plenty have teams have proved. So winning a trophy wouldn't have to be at the cost of your long term future. You might see it differently if you'd won anything recently.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:48 pm

Tilton wrote:A centre forward, a central midfielder and a centre half? So basically players in three of the most important positions in your team need replacing? But apart from that you're ok? So why hasn't Wenger done this already? It's not like Arsenal are skint - far from it.

Replacing? Not at all. The positions need strengthening because, certainly in the case of CB and CF, we have insufficient back up. I'm saying we need more strength in depth.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:03 pm

Ok, fair enough. But I'd have thought that Wenger would have realised this before the season started? All teams get injuries and Arsenal have plenty of money to strengthen those positions but haven't. Or do you think Wenger just thought "Feck it, I'll keep the cheque book in my pocket and take a chance"?

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:12 pm

As I have explained to you, The Arsenal have been a bit strapped of late. That situation will ease with the oncoming new sponsorship deals and the improved debt situation. I think Wenger did what he could do at the time and I am sure that the situation that I have outlined will be addressed in the summer months. Only time will tell if I am right or wrong.
Meanwhile, are you a little twitchy about what might happen to your favoured club when your cash source is serving 14 years in clink?

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:32 pm

Arsenal haven't been a bit strapped lately though, have they. You spunked 42 million quid on one player and have you seen how much you've still got in the bank?

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Have you got any money in the bank?
Or do you live for today and feck tomorrow?
The amounts needed in reserve are relative to size.
It might suit you but I'm happy for The Arsenal not to do a Leeds or a Portsmouth and on and on.
As I've said we will have a large inflow of the old mazooma very shortly, when the new sponsorship deals come on stream.
Why spend our reserves when we can spend other people's money. Good business, eh? Wink 
Slowly, slowly, catchy monkey. Very Happy 

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Plus I've never considered The Arsenal to be a star-purchasing club - these days it's Citeh & Chelski who lead the field in that respect and good luck to them. We develop them or get'em in when they're young so that they can learn "The Arsenal Way". I prefer it that way, the players identify with the club for the longer term (yes, we've lost a coupla players - RvP being the most high-profile of recent times but he doesn't seem to be a particularly happy bunny nowadays does he?) and give us stability.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:15 pm

jak wrote:Have you got any money in the bank?
It might suit you but I'm happy for The Arsenal not to do a Leeds or a Portsmouth and on and on.
As I've said we will have a large inflow of the old mazooma very shortly, when the new sponsorship deals come on stream.
Why spend our reserves when we can spend other people's money. Good business, eh? Wink 

Very slowly, slowly by the looks of it. How long do you think before Wenger catches a monkey? How much longer would you say is acceptable for Arsenal to remain monkeyless? For example, if no monkeys have been caught by the end of next season will Arsenal fans still be happy with Wenger?

As for your first question, I'll send you all my account details and passwords/PIN's and you can see for yourself. You seem like a trustworthy fellow.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:36 pm

Tilton wrote:
jak wrote:Have you got any money in the bank?

Very slowly, slowly by the looks of it. How long do you think before Wenger catches a monkey? How much longer would you say is acceptable for Arsenal to remain monkeyless? For example, if no monkeys have been caught by the end of next season will Arsenal fans still be happy with Wenger?

As for your first question, I'll send you all my account details and passwords/PIN's and you can see for yourself. You seem like a trustworthy fellow.

Well many Nigerian chappies seem prepared to trust me with their millions, so your funds are truly safe in my hands.
You'd better PM me your account details etc., there's some dodgey bar stewards on here.
Now on to the monkeys, I'm a believer.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:43 pm

Laughing More like a Daydream Believer, if you ask me.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:09 pm

Tilton wrote:Laughing More like a Daydream Believer, if you ask me.

Ah!!! I've found your idols. Very Happy 

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum