JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bridge Pulls Out Of England Duty

Go down

Bridge Pulls Out Of England Duty Empty Bridge Pulls Out Of England Duty

Post  Guest Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:30 pm

Manchester City defender Wayne Bridge has announced he does not wish to be chosen for England duty, thereby ruling himself out of this summer's World Cup.

In a statement released by his lawyers, Bridge, 29, said his position in the national squad had become "untenable and potentially divisive".

He has been in the spotlight over allegations that his ex-girlfriend had an affair with Chelsea's John Terry.

Terry was sacked as England captain by coach Fabio Capello earlier this month.

Bridge's statement read: "I have thought long and hard about my position in the England football team in the light of the reporting and events over the last few weeks.

"It has always been an honour to play for England. However, after careful thought I believe my position in the squad is now untenable and potentially divisive.

"Sadly therefore I feel for the sake of the team and in order to avoid what will be inevitable distractions, I have decided not to put myself forward for selection.

"I have today informed the management of this decision. I wish the team all the very best in South Africa."

With the World Cup less than four months away, Bridge's decision leaves Capello with a selection headache over England's left-back spot.

Chelsea's Ashley Cole is already sidelined with an ankle injury and is a doubt for the competition in South Africa.

England's opening match is against the United States on 12 June.

Aston Villa defenders Stephen Warnock and Nicky Shorey, Everton's Leighton Baines and Manchester City's Joleon Lescott are all possible replacements in the English defence.

Despite reports earlier this week that Bridge was considering his international future because he was unwilling to play alongside Terry, Capello stated on Wednesday: "No, he will be with us. No problems about the other things."

Bridge, who has played for England 36 times and recently returned from a two-month lay-off with a knee injury, was a club mate of Terry's at Chelsea before joining Manchester City last year.

The pair are due to meet on the pitch for the first time since details of the alleged affair were made public when City visit Chelsea on Saturday.

In the wake of Terry's sacking and recent headlines concerning Ashley Cole's separation from wife Cheryl, the Italian boss revealed he would stress the importance of team spirit and personal discipline when he talks to his players ahead of the friendly with Egypt on 3 March.

"The World Cup is really important for me, for England and for the players," he explained. "We have to stay together and compact in every moment. I think this will be my most important job - to recreate this spirit.

"We will talk about a lot of things because four months is a long time. If you can meet the players every month it is different. We will have two days to stay together but they are very strong days."

Back to top Go down

Bridge Pulls Out Of England Duty Empty Re: Bridge Pulls Out Of England Duty

Post  Bedshammer Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:44 pm

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:00 pm