JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Difficult game at Upton Park

+4
Bedshammer
villanfromluton
jak
jpr60
8 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Difficult game at Upton Park - Page 3 Empty Re: Difficult game at Upton Park

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:42 pm

I think you've got your Arsene Wenger specs on. Spector did a brilliant job on Arshavin all game, and sent in a few decent crosses as well. Ilunga I agree was poor, but Franco aside, every other player did their job well. Parker didn't let Fabregas have any real influence on the game, and van Persie barely got a look in against Upson and Tomkins. I think Wenger was at fault for only playing one upfront. Sure we let you have the ball in the midfield but there was no real penetration from Arsenal at all.

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:59 pm

Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:I think you've got your Arsene Wenger specs on. Spector did a brilliant job on Arshavin all game, and sent in a few decent crosses as well. Ilunga I agree was poor, but Franco aside, every other player did their job well. Parker didn't let Fabregas have any real influence on the game, and van Persie barely got a look in against Upson and Tomkins. I think Wenger was at fault for only playing one upfront. Sure we let you have the ball in the midfield but there was no real penetration from Arsenal at all.

I don't see how the two phrases highlighted above fit - but, anyway, we'll obviously not agree.
IMO we should have won by 5 (our fault we didn't).
IMO West Ham were, overall poor, which surprised me.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:01 pm

Simple jp, Diaby and Song were allowed to hold onto the ball all game if they wanted to, but as soon as Fabregas got it Parker was snapping at his heels.

Back to top Go down

Post  jak Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:49 pm

Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:What game were you watching jpr? The difference between the teams in the first half was Rob Green's keeping and West Ham's final ball. As for this being a poor team, well that's simply not true. It's the best team we've had since the season we finished 5th, and some of the kids coming through are very similar to Redknapps batch.

Jesus, I have watched football for many years. You will not hear me bleating about the penalty on Sunday because by the laws of the game Song commited a foul in the box and that is a penalty. For me Arsenal lost concentration in the last quarter of the game on Sunday, as they did in midweek. For that, we got what we deserved. I have no issues with the referee who, though he did stop the game far too often, did no better or worse than you see most weeks in the PL.
What I do find absolutely incredible is your assessment of the first half of the game, unbelievable !!!!
I sat here watching that half, surprised at two things. Firstly the complete lack of passion from a very poor West Ham team and secondly the lack of atmosphere and support from the crowd.(It reminded me of Fulham years ago where if the wind was in the wrong direction all the noise was lost from the ground.) That was due to the fact that Arsenal absolutely dominated that half of the game. You must be having a wind up to say otherwise. I would be interested to hear an independent assessment of the first half.

jak

Back to top Go down

Post  Bedshammer Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:33 am

We were ordinary in the first half, although I'd disagree that it's the poorest West Ham team for years. To the team's credit, they kept it together and turned it around in the second half.
As for the atmosphere, again, a game of 2 halfs (halves). It's hard to sing when you're 2-0 down, but a Claret & Blue Army chant started in the BML at roughly the same time Diamanti came onto the pitch. From then on it was nothing but noise from the home fans, while the away end went very quiet.
I think Arsenal thought they'd nailed the game at half time, which should be a lesson learnt. As for the ref, I've seen a lot worse. Atkinson at Stoke last week was horrendous.
Bedshammer
Bedshammer
Queen of Bedfordshire

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:46 am

As a totally unbiased observer I saw a game where the home side were completely overrun for almost 70 mins.Cole impressed for West Ham but other than Parker the rest were off the pace.The WH penalty given was IMO less of a shout than the one not given but a penalty all the same.As for the free kick that was soft.Green was at fault for both Arsenal goals, first one for flapping at it, second one for not making a positive decision, though he did make a great save in the dying moments from RVP's header.Arsenal should really have made the game beyond reach long before Cole's goal, but didn't and credit to WH for getting back into it.As for this being the worst Hammers team for a while, I couldn't say but hand on heart if the entire squad was put up for sale then I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of them going to Championship clubs.
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:44 pm

Of the squad who played yesterday, I'd say only Spector and Franco are yet to prove himself as a more than capable premiership player.

Back to top Go down

Post  QBVILLA Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:48 pm

Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:Of the squad who played yesterday, I'd say only Spector and Franco are yet to prove himself as a more than capable premiership player.

19th position in the league suggests otherwise
QBVILLA
QBVILLA

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:59 pm

QBVILLA wrote:
Ezekiel 25:17 wrote:Of the squad who played yesterday, I'd say only Spector and Franco are yet to prove himself as a more than capable premiership player.

19th position in the league suggests otherwise

Sunday was the first time since March Zola has been able to field who, in his words, he considers the "soul" of the side. Behrami, Parker, Collison, and Cole. Who by the way would be worthy of a starting place in most sides outside of the top 5 or 6.

And by the way, a 9th place finish with an almost identical squad over a full season suggests they're all up to standard.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3