JWNED
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

England goalscorers

3 posters

Go down

England goalscorers Empty England goalscorers

Post  jpr60 Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:17 pm

Wayne Rooney is coming up behind the likes of Greaves, Linekar and Charlton in terms of number of goals scored but for me THE best ever England goalscorer is Jimmy Greaves. He didn't need lots of games to score his goals, he just used to put them away. Yes, Rooney will, no doubt beat his England total but it will be having played a whole lot more games than Greaves to do so.
Probably it's the way the game's played nowadays, I dunno but you just don't see the likes of a Greaves around anymore. He was potent that bloke, I remember when he picked the ball up in the opponents half the crowd just used to buzz cos you knew there was a goal-chance coming. He was like it for Chelsea - I didn't see him playing in Italy, but when he come back to Spurs he just kept the goals coming - a majestic striker!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

England goalscorers Empty Re: England goalscorers

Post  Tilton Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:00 pm

And a fine pundit too, in his day. And a good old fashioned pisshead.

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Fri Oct 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Ay, that was the "norm" in the old days, excellent footballers who smoked and drank too much! Best, Baxter, Greaves, Moore and more recently Hudson, Adams, Parlour, Merson - the drink didn't stop them being excellent players (OK, Bestie opted out in his prime) though.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Sun Oct 12, 2014 6:34 pm

And again, against Estonia Rooney showed that he is not exactly a goalscorer, I mean, not in the same way that Greaves was, or even Linekar for that matter. OK, he scored from a free kick but he missed at least two others, both from great through balls - I dunno, you score 'em you're a striker, you miss 'em you're a w..ker in my book!

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  Tilton Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:07 pm

So you think that Rooney's a wanker then?

You'd love to have him up the Arse though, wouldn't you?

Tilton

Back to top Go down

Post  jpr60 Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:55 pm

Everyone would have benefited had Rooney signed for The Arsenal when he was younger. He would have been coached properly and guided through the pitfalls of being a young player - diet, habits, you name it, Wenger would have brought him on to be a better player IMO. Look at him today and what you see is a gifted footballer having been treated like a star by his manager at ManU - "Do what I tell you on the pitch and you can do what you like off it" - Fergie's mantra.
So yes, I would have liked him at The Arsenal, but I wouldn't want him today.

jpr60

Back to top Go down

Post  villainies Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:08 pm

He divides opinion doesn't he. He has certainly lost the sparkle he had when he burst onto the scene and hasn't lived up to his potential which is an odd thing to say about the player that will score more goals for England than anyone else. I think he still deserves a place in the team and is the best we have for the moment but he must start taking many more of his chances. Shouldn't be skipper either but then again we haven't had a good skipper for many years.
villainies
villainies
Poncy Kitchen Dancer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down